Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transformation vs Incrementalism
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism
"Losing is okay as long as you have a good enough excuse." I don't think that ANYONE is suggesting that Rice lower its academic standards for athletes to Boise's or TCU's level, and I think it's quite frankly disingenuous to assert or imply for argumentative purposes that anyone is suggesting that. Rice had the same academic standards when Rice was going to Cotton Bowls, so that's an excuse, not a reason. That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of OTHER things that were done by Boise and/or TCU that Rice would not do well to emulate. They did things with support, with facilities, with marketing, with administration, with processes--all of which we can emulate without changing academic standards so much as an iota. Best practices analysis says that you take the things that you CAN do and do them. I think that is what Good Owl is clearly suggesting, and for the most part that is what everyone else is suggesting, and I think that those of you who are putting words into people's mouths that they did not say owe apologies to those people.

"If you don't know where you are going, then the path of least resistance will get you there." Yes, we can point out how Rice's position as an academically elite university trying to play D1 sports in a non-P5 conference is unique. We can use that to rationalize drifting along with the tides as we did for nearly 50 years, or we can start figuring out how best to proceed in that unique situation. Drifting with the tides has taken us from the SWC to CUSA in its current configuration. Is that what we want? Do we keep drifting until we are in 17-AAAAA? We need to take some responsibility for, and some control over, our own destiny. And a big part of figuring out where to go involves looking at what others have done and finding the good parts that we can emulate. No we can't do everything that Boise and TCU did. But we can--and should--do SOME things that they did.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 06:04 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-31-2015 06:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Transformation vs Incrementalism - GoodOwl - 01-10-2015, 02:40 PM
RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism - Owl 69/70/75 - 01-31-2015 06:03 AM
Transformation vs Incrementalism - chrisc - 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.