Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transformation vs Incrementalism
RiceLad15 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism
(01-13-2015 12:04 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Here's my approach.

1) Keep DB around as long as he shows progress.
2) Sign him to rollover contracts with minimal buyouts, both ways.
3) If someone hires him away, that will be because he has continued to improve the program, and our pool of replacements will be a lot more appealing than it was when we hired TG or DB.
4) If he cannot continue to improve, then at some point the risk of change is worth it.

My fear is that the incremental pace of improvement has been so slow that the P5 window has come and gone. I'm not sure that we weren't in such bad shape that transformative change was beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe we just need to accept what we have.

At this point, I think transformative change is way more possible in basketball (and probably has been, for decades). If we get basketball to where baseball is (roughly, a perennial Sweet-16), and continue incremental change in football, and keep baseball where it is, and do something about marketing, we could be attractive to the P5's in 8-10 years. Then we just hope that there is a window open when we get there.

Couldn't agree more.

I think the focus of our athletic department, at the moment, is best spent elsewhere. The time and energy that it would take to go through a coaching search is just not worth it, IMO. I think continuing to push for facilities upgrades across campus, replacing our WBB coach, and revamping the athletic department (especially marketing) all take precedent over putting forth any effort to replace our current head coach.

Talk to me at the end of next year and I could very well have another opinion. I had my pitch fork read in the middle of the 2012 season, but put it away for a while after I felt like the ship had been righted.
01-13-2015 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Transformation vs Incrementalism - GoodOwl - 01-10-2015, 02:40 PM
RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism - RiceLad15 - 01-13-2015 12:10 PM
Transformation vs Incrementalism - chrisc - 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.