ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
ODU BBALL Online
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
(04-06-2015 07:59 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Are you talking about kyle wiltjer? He left Kentucky bc they kept getting better players than him so he teamsferred out.

All Im saying is we have to be realistic. Occasionally maybe we get some recruits over bigger schools, but those are outliers. If we focus on outrecruiting them, we are going to be disappointed in general. We have to find the overlooked guys and coach them up.

It would be a mistake for Jeff to stop recruiting any kid that ODU had spent some effort recruiting just because a "bigger name school" appeared on the scene to recruit the same kid. Especially if it is a local kid. THAT'S BEING REALISTIC.

I've said nothing about "focusing on out-recruiting" those types of schools (UVA/Georgetown/UNC/etc.).

My comments have been mainly about LOCAL KIDS, some of the benefits to them of staying near home to play college ball, how just one or two can make a big difference, and how the kids ultimately make the program they attend successful (whoever that school is). What of that do you disagree with???

You ask - What kids are going to ODU if they have offers from UVA/Georgetown/UNC/etc? One of the jerseys that has been retired by ODU is (#45 - Mark West). He was a kid that was recruited out of Petersburg HS by Terry Holland to play at UVA. He was also recruited by Paul Webb to play at ODU back during our years in the Sun Belt Conference. Oliver Purnell was involved with his recruiting for ODU and I have talked with him about that. I had the pleasure of watching Mark play for ODU and am very happy that we stayed active in recruiting him in spite of UVA being involved. Was he an "outlier", sure. No one has said anything differently? Still though, if you don't throw a line in the water, you'll never catch a fish. THAT'S BEING REALISTIC.

ODU has had kids LEAVE programs such as UVA (BJ Stith), Clemson (Donte Hill), Wake Forrest (Sylvester Charles), and Syracuse (Ricky Harmon - I think it was) - off the top of my head - and come to ODU. Obviously for them to have done that, they must have thought of ODU as a better fit for them personally all things considered. Everything isn't always just a rubber stamp (big name school) answer. THAT'S BEING REALISTIC.

What is "realistic" recruiting today for Memphis? For Wichita State? For Gonzaga? Whatever it is today, I think we can all agree that it has changed over a relatively short period of time. It really doesn't take that much to change the trend (see VCU). It also doesn't mean that you are always as good as the trend would imply (again see VCU).
04-07-2015 01:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU BBALL - 04-07-2015 01:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.