Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(10-21-2017 03:15 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 04:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  This will never happen. It's another preposterous troll on your part.

You who say that Clemson would stay true to Carolina blue and yet in another breath you relegate them to obscurity with the small privates and small state schools expect anyone to believe either of these positions of yours?

Florida State will not abandon the Southeast to play in the Big 10 unless the SEC simply didn't want them, and that is not the case. I could see Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech in the Big 10, but in Tech's case only if the SEC wasn't interested and there is a greater chance of that than there is for our lack of interest in F.S.U..

I also think your donors and those at N.C. State would put up a fight. It would be a horribly polarizing political issue for your state. So I'm even dubious about that claim.

What you suffer from is delusional Carolina schadenfreude. If North Carolina can't get what it wants, or doesn't get the attaboys from the rest of the conference for your feeble attempts to cover up fraud, then you secretly desire an outcome that pokes at all of your detractors. Cuddle up to the Big 10 to spite the SEC, relegate those who haven't always agreed with you to some sub conference, and use the Big 10's academics as an excuse to continue to pat yourselves on the back for centuries of hypocrisy.

The young folks around here may not get it, but Duke, Wake Forest, and UNC were built on the back of tobacco money, and when that failed it became the center for pharmaceutical research. So once you had given the nation lung cancer and raked in the profits from that, then you sought to make millions off of the treatments for the disease you helped to spread. All the while you want to remain to be seen as leaders.
Leaders of what? One crooked industry followed by another? Spare me! The whole rotten core up there needs to be razed. If the average board member here spent more time studying big pharma than sports this wouldn't be a very hospitable environment for those in woad. The financial structure, planned phasing out of drugs for new ones that have been on hold to avoid losing revenue when generics are permitted, the number of pharmaceuticals that hit the market with less than scholarly studies behind their side effects, the dual pricing system for the U.S. versus socialized medicine countries, the list could go on and on.

So the people who brought us lung cancer now peddle expensive pills. Whoopie do!

It's reasonable to assume that North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, and Notre Dame might one day consider the Big 10. But you are bat crap nuts if you think the SEC would permit F.S.U. to head to the Big 10, or leave Clemson in the lurch.

The future is not solely in markets. The future will be in stimulating those markets into actually watching and because of that branding will become an even bigger driver of revenue than markets.

I don't believe his story for another reason: the ACC was interested in blocking any additional competitors in the East and there were rumors that they would flip State Penn and perhaps keep Maryland, thereby shutting off the Big Ten. So it could be argued that RU/MD was a defensive move by the Big Ten, although there are other reasons those two schools fit the conference, like more recruiting territory and student population. Even Delany mentioned about how the Big Ten was "being surrounded" at one point during an interview with Dennis Dodd.

(10-20-2017 08:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Beggars can't be choosers. If you get Oklahoma you have to pay the piper and take the Pokes. If you get Texas you have to pay the piper again and take the Red Raiders. Otherwise we simply aren't going to play ball with this deal. We could take all four and bury your sorry butts forever and wait until you beg either us or the Big 10 for the last of the big time paydays. So what I offered is as close as the ACC will ever get to being safe.

You are dead last in every metric. The ACCN might make you #4. Or, #3 if the Big 12 goes away. But without the brand infusion that Texas and Oklahoma deliver you're nothing, will be nothing, and will eventually succumb to either Big 10 or the SEC. Personally I hope it's the Big 10 for UNC. The move will bury your fan base. And then you get to be the whipping boy of the Northern Conference. The folks in North Carolina are going to love that!

I still think all in all Texa-homa to the SEC gets her done. Try again.

I do think the SEC has the greater leverage now, although with Disney not wanting further disruptions in its sports portfolio I wonder if they would something to avoid opening things up for their competitors. Maybe keeping the Big 12 chugging along would be preferable to granting one conference too much leverage. The other thing is that the Altice deal made the ACCN actually more viable than thought because Altice's properties include systems in Brooklyn, Bronx, Long Island and New Jersey. My older sister has Optimum at her place. That's where the ACC wanted to be seen. The Big Ten is already there with BTN. Finally, the Grant of Rights extension has made acquiring new schools too expensive for prospective buyers. A lot can happen between now and 2036. To me, that ship has effectively sailed.

In a note of irony, Notre Dame hockey has the B1G logo painted on the ice and on their uniforms. Perhaps a fitting epitaph.

It may be 2035 before the ACC finds that there are members in their ranks who no longer want to sign a GOR renewal. I accept that to an extent.

But ESPN will want to sew up Texas. If Texa-homa to the SEC does that I think it happens. I think FOX will go to the mat on it as well and both will push for it sooner rather than later. The reason being they don't want to wait until the streamers bid it up. ESPN has the leverage with the LHN.

The question in my mind however is do they want to use Texas, to acquire a larger % of the Big 10 in 5 years? Or do they want to use the ACC to acquire a larger % of the Big 10 and to mend old fences? Because if they do they can easily place 6 schools each in the Big 10 and SEC and do so profitably. The LHN along with a contingent from the Big 12 is the only option for a PAC which is beginning to ooze discontent.

And Transic, for all the yammering, the Irish when put to the question will go for the conference that offers them the most. The most money. The largest exposure to recruiting grounds, and the most rivals to play.

The Big 10 could accomplish that with a scheduling agreement with the PAC and with a rotating 1 game for the Irish with the SEC. When things were in question with regards to the ACC, and Notre Dame was nosing around membership in what later would turn out to be a failed larger deal, Swarbrick visited Birmingham. Supposedly he wanted insight about the ACC and he wanted to know the viability of scheduling SEC schools should N.D. not take the ACC plunge. Georgia in South Bend is just the first fruit of that.

Should the SEC and Big 10 work together to assimilate the ACC all of the above can be accomplished. The Irish could join the Big 10 solidifying Big 10 control of Northern Cities. They could count on a continued rotation of SEC schools in key recruiting areas, they could have all of their minor sports close to home, play hockey , and probably join with some of their ACC lacrosse buddies as they move to the B1G as well.

The SEC would move to solidify the Southeast and safeguard key rivalries.

If neither of our conferences land Texas and Oklahoma then we maintain a good balance financially and the PAC plays catch up.

It's why I favor the 3 x 20 and if the AAC is renamed & promoted a 4 x 20 would be even better for competitive balance and as a repository for 2nd state schools which otherwise would snag the final move.

Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Duke (good appeal in NY), Virginia and UNC becomes the rug that ties the B1G room together.

Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Miami solidifies the Southeast.

12 is what it takes to dissolve the ACC. We don't fight over Texas and Oklahoma and we all solidify our geography for minor sports.

I think it is still viable.

If ESPN can grab more Big 10 content and split the PAC 50/50 as they do now by lease. I think it would work.
10-21-2017 03:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-21-2017 03:44 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.