Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(03-24-2016 11:24 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 03:38 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  If I were the SEC, It would depend on what my goal was.

For 16: Kansas and Oklahoma
For 18: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia

Kansas for basketball.
Oklahoma for football, basketball, and national appeal.
Texas because it's Texas.
West Virginia for its likeness to SEC programs along with a decent football program and a good basketball program.

I would consider Oklahoma St only if Oklahoma declined.
I would consider Baylor only if Texas declined.
I would not consider TCU or Texas Tech. TCU is football-centric while Baylor has strong football and basketball. Texas is too far away.
I would not consider Kansas St. Their football and basketball are both typically okay, but neither program are as Kansas is to basketball.
I would consider Iowa St if the goal was beyond 18.

(03-24-2016 09:39 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(03-24-2016 07:56 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-24-2016 02:52 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  JR, you just might get your OU/FSU wish this summer after all, lol.

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 20h20 hours ago
Hearing this morning that FSU has told ACC they will challenge GOR validity in court this fall regardless of what conf they call home

Currently there are 8 ACC schools that will not sign a new GOR for extra ESPN $

FSU says they do not want to leave ACC but have to keep options open since ACC is going to fall further behind SEC and others

Of course the source leaves major doubts, but if the SEC wanted to solidify everything they currently have, finish with to of the best brands out there presently not in the Big 10, PAC, or SEC this is the way to do it. The two largest states in the SEC footprint are Florida and Texas. In Florida we capture 45% of the market in actual allegiance. That's more than anyone can with one school, but should the payout model change that makes us vulnerable, as we would be in Texas.

In Texas A&M delivers viewers all over the state and clearly captures Houston. Should the SEC clearly dominate DFW as well it essentially gives us enough control not to lose footing with a new model. Oklahoma gives us that plus a new state. The two brands multiply our content value to heights that no other conference could then equal.

If you look at the remaining football product there are only 3 national brands left on the table between the ACC & SEC that aren't named Notre Dame.

Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida State would be the top 3. I strongly suspect that should OU & FSU move to the SEC that the content game would be over as to who is tops, or could be tops.

The Big 10 would only have two moves they could make that would keep them close: Notre Dame & Texas. I don't see Texas making this move. Notre Dame might if they had no other options.

Without Florida State the ACC might take West Virginia and Connecticut to move to 16, or might take W.V.U. and if Notre Dame went all in with the conference minus Florida State but with Miami they would have essentially everything they want in a conference in the ACC.

They would be the undisputed football king and they would have, other than Clemson, an easy path to the CFP.

If that were to happen I think the Big 10 has to take Kansas and Iowa State to strengthen their AAU hold. That means that Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Texas Tech are free to head to the PAC.

The more I've thought about it the more I believe that Miami as Notre Dame's touchstone in Florida gives them the recruiting exposure without posing a major issue to their prominence. Clemson as Xlance has said before might like being N.D.'s sole competition in a Nole-less ACC.

But I wouldn't rule out the SEC & Big 10 both moving to 18 either. We might have to take Oklahoma State too. If so the 4th is a big question mark to me unless it's Texas (which I don't see), or Clemson which I also would like, but which whose absence coupled with the loss of F.S.U. would prove catastrophic for the ACC's valuation, Notre Dame or not.

IF Oklahoma & FSU go to the SEC, what would the chances be for the ACC to get ND all in & also bring Texas in? Would Oklahoma State &/or Kansas come with Texas?

IF it's a move against the Big 12 & Fox then say the SEC would get FSU, Oklahoma, VT & WV. The ACC could get ND all in, Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas & maybe 2 more (TT & Baylor?) for 18. This would extremely limit the B1G options.

Or would it be more probable that Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas & Iowa St (for example) would be sent to the PAC if they gave up a piece of their network? The ACC would get ND all in to replace FSU, would they take 2 more to match the SEC 16 (WV + 1 of UConn, Cincinnati, UCF/USF or B12 remnant)?

I can't see FSU moving alone unless it's to the SEC but I don't see them taking on the GOR. The ACC might work a deal to let them out however, say for ND & Texas.

It's all speculation based on unreliable rumors but it's interesting to bounce around though.

Edit: As far as 8 schools that won't resign the GOR for extra ESPN money, I don't buy that. That sounds misleading. I can see FSU & perhaps Clemson & GT being against a GOR extension but not 8. Now if it were a terrible deal being offered like $5 extra million per school to extend it to 2030 then yeah, I can see a lot of schools being against that but not against resigning the GOR in general.
The way the ACC GOR extra money rumor goes is that the entire ACC signed the original GOR that allowed ESPN time to either setup/build a ACC Network or allow ESPN to scratch the network idea and keep the GOR valid by adding an additional $3M/yr/school. Supposedly this summer is the deadline. According to some rumors, ESPN has presented the ACC with the money instead of the network. Supposedly, all the schools would have to sign another GOR, one that's much more binding I guess, to get the pay raise; not sure if years are added to the contract. Speculation has it that this is the window to get out. The 8 schools that supposedly won't sign it are the ones likely to have better options for better payoffs outside the ACC or are strapped for cash like Maryland was before they went to the Big Ten.

If I had to guess who the eight were: UVA, VT, UNC, GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Louisville.

I don't think that is accurate, but if it were I would pick a different 8.

Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, and quite possibly even Louisville.

I don't think UVa, UNC, Duke, N.C.State, Wake Forest or Notre Dame would be there. N.D. didn't sign the football GOR, but may have signed another one for hoops. I don't really know about what they did and didn't sign.

If F.S.U. sued to get out I would imagine that their claim would be that recalcitrance against a deal that might have given the ACC a network and more stability was a selfish act that impeded the ability of other member schools to maximize their revenue. If that ever were to happen I think a lot of interesting things might come to light. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2016 12:49 AM by JRsec.)
03-25-2016 12:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 03-25-2016 12:48 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.