Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does anyone genuinely believe...
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
RE: Does anyone genuinely believe...
(03-11-2009 09:38 AM)emmiesix Wrote:  If US-made goods are priced above those available from other countries, can't you just put taxes on those imports to balance things out? I realize that might not sound so great to the consumer, but it would place the advantage supplying the US population with those based locally.

In a very basic sense, you can have a country which is completely self-sufficient on one extreme, or a "world economy" where every country trades with every other, on the other. It seems untenable to me to try to maintain the vastly different standards of living the US enjoys as we move towards the latter. I get some sense that this is just a tectonic shift of sorts. I certainly have never believed the US would maintain it's high differential during my lifetime.

One thing we know is that a self-sufficient country is a poor one. To cite just a few clear examples: France in the 1810s, the Confederate States in the 1860s, and Germany in the 1940s all had to make due with what they could produce locally, because they were cut off from seaborne trade by the US and Royal navies. And those countries starved as a result. Even with "local" production augmented by conquered neighbors and slave labor, they still couldn't do it.

Trade does not necessarily narrow prosperity differences, nor should it. What it does do is raise the overall prosperity of everyone. Conversely, cramping trade may benefit some local would-be monopoly, but in the aggregate it decreases everyone's prosperity.
The key thing to remember is that economics is NOT a zero-sum game. The other key thing to remember is that no scientist or government can predict which specific economic activity will be beneficial and which will be dead ends. So the surest (indeed the only sure) way to increase prosperity across the board is to make it possible for people to interact with each other freely, knowledgeably, and securely. Trade is part of that; so is education; so are basic Western concepts like respect for law and contracts and a predictable justice system; and so is the most fundamental concept of all, liberty. The surest way to decrease prosperity for all is to erect barriers that make it harder for people to do that. Protectionism is the most obvious such barrier. Nationalization, monopolies, and oligopolies are other such barriers, less obvious but no less insidious.
03-11-2009 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone genuinely believe... - georgewebb - 03-11-2009 10:17 AM
RE: Does anyone genuinely believe... - JSA - 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.