Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Global Warming forum cancelled due to cold weather...
Bookmark and Share
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators

The spin room strikes again!!! lmfao
02-14-2007 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
huskiealum03 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
NIU007 Wrote:There may not be global warming, but this was by far the warmest December to January period that I can remember, going back 30+ years. I mean, we were getting temperatures in the 50s in mid-January. It was so warm it was freaky. Now it's back to normal. There's at least local warming, though that of course could be due to Dog Fan.

When I was a kid in '82 or so there was 60 degree weather with thunderstorms on Christmas Eve - that was about the time that TIME and the NY Times said that an new Ice Age was coming and there was nothing that we could do about it.

Yep - these guys know what they are talking about.

no one on this board is qualified to talk about the legitimacy or lack thereof of global warming. Unless you've thoroughly studied the subject, and can dispute or back up those studies and specific points, everyone is just blowing hot air here. End of conversation.

I am so glad that you think you have any right to end conversations - ignore it if you want.

FYI -- the earth has been warming since the last ice age.

Concurrent with the rise in global mean surface temperature during the 1990s (the "hottest decade on record") there was a dramatic drop in the number of surface reporting stations, especially in Arctic regions of the former Soviet Union. Not surprisingly, when you eliminate a significant number of lower temperatures from the set of global reported temperatures, you obtain a higher mean.

Is there some global warming - most would agree yes.

Is it caused by humans - who knows!

Will global warming wreck havoc to the world - no one knows, it may lead to more fertile ground worldwide, more temperate climates worldwide, more food, and less cold!
So we do nothing and only act when it is too late. Glad you hate your kids and grandkids. 04-chairshot

"Glad you hate your kids and grandkids" - What BS - that is the crap that is spewed by people who don't want to have a legitamate discussion.

You live in a fantasy world - even the most optimistic envirornmentalists say that implementing there ideas would have little if any impact on the climate.

the VAST majority of scientists who believe in global warming don't see it as a cataclysmic event. This is a big media driven let's sell newspaper issue.

Go back and look at stories from 20 years ago - they say that all the rain forests will be gone in 20 years, that the coasts will be flooded and unliveable, and numerous other claims - NONE of them happened.

If you wonder why there is more storm damage now than 50 years ago - it is because more people live on the coasts!!!
Fine. Lets not do anything. Lets keep polluting the earth. I don't really expect man to be smart enough to keep from killing themselves.
02-14-2007 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

HuskiemobileMan Wrote:The spin room strikes again!!! lmfao
Nah, there are actually some "liberals" on this board not just southern "republican" Jesus freaks. ;-)
02-14-2007 02:38 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

RobertN Wrote:
Nah, there are actually some "liberals" on this board not just southern "republican" Jesus freaks. ;-)

03-yes

Interestingly, I haven't seen Kedz in the spin room (lately - I never went there myself until recently). Nobody to argue with I guess.
02-14-2007 02:56 PM
garyindiana Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

[/quote]Fine. Lets not do anything. Lets keep polluting the earth. I don't really expect man to be smart enough to keep from killing themselves.[/quote]

How dare you care about the environment! Shame on you for caring about future generations of the planet!

Actually i hope we are all reincarnated, especially Kedz.
02-14-2007 03:36 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU

RobertN Wrote:

Classic -

Disagree with RobertN = southern "republican" Jesus freaks.
02-14-2007 03:37 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies

Quote:Global warming is not a religion. I hear what you are saying, and I am not saying this snowstorm or cold is because of global warming......but global warming is happening. The average temperature in the Arctic region is slightly up and some of the glaciers are starting to melt, thus slightly raising sea level and slightly raising the average temperature of the oceans. And over the next several decades it will continue if CO continues to be consumed at the rate it is now.

People need to stop eating Colorado!??

Global Warming is a religion.

Many religions state their belief that mankind once lived in paradise, until some sort of original sin caused him to fall from grace (ie Adam & Eve, Pandora's box). The Global Warmists beleive Earth was paradise until the evil industrial revolution.

Many religions believe in a future apocalypse, when mankind will finally pay for his evil ways. The Global Warming apocalypse is the Day After Tomorrow.

Religions say that while man may never be perfect, he can approach that goal through sacrifice and reverance. In Global Warming you sacrifice your energy consumption to save Mother Earth.

Where a Christian may use an Autumn sunset or the miracle of child birth, to restore his faith in God, a Global Warmist uses a warm day in December, or a natural disaster to restore his faith in Global Warming.

Religious people get offended if you tell them there is no God. Global Warmists get offended if you tell them there is no global warming. It's a matter of faith.

Here is one big difference. Religions only ask their followers to contribute to their church. Global Warmists want to make everyone contribute, whether they want to or not.
02-14-2007 03:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

Huskie_Jon Wrote:
Quote:Global warming is not a religion. I hear what you are saying, and I am not saying this snowstorm or cold is because of global warming......but global warming is happening. The average temperature in the Arctic region is slightly up and some of the glaciers are starting to melt, thus slightly raising sea level and slightly raising the average temperature of the oceans. And over the next several decades it will continue if CO continues to be consumed at the rate it is now.

People need to stop eating Colorado!??

Global Warming is a religion.

Many religions state their belief that mankind once lived in paradise, until some sort of original sin caused him to fall from grace (ie Adam & Eve, Pandora's box). The Global Warmists beleive Earth was paradise until the evil industrial revolution.

Many religions believe in a future apocalypse, when mankind will finally pay for his evil ways. The Global Warming apocalypse is the Day After Tomorrow.

Religions say that while man may never be perfect, he can approach that goal through sacrifice and reverance. In Global Warming you sacrifice your energy consumption to save Mother Earth.

Where a Christian may use an Autumn sunset or the miracle of child birth, to restore his faith in God, a Global Warmist uses a warm day in December, or a natural disaster to restore his faith in Global Warming.

Religious people get offended if you tell them there is no God. Global Warmists get offended if you tell them there is no global warming. It's a matter of faith.

Here is one big difference. Religions only ask their followers to contribute to their church. Global Warmists want to make everyone contribute, whether they want to or not.

As a duly ordained minister in the First Congregational Church of Global Warming, I can attest to your words of vision and wisdom. Although my flock is slowly growing, we have been infiltrated by some Southern Republican types. This has me greatly concerned because they are using mind games to sway my flock to their side. They have even started petitions to change our liturgy to actually mention God! However, I am countering their moves by asking our choir to sing "Hot Fun in the Summertime", "Summer in the City", and "Cold Cold Heart" continuously for 3 hours every Sunday as a backgound for our services.

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to prepare for my sermon and puff up my hair with my indistrial-strength hairspray. Doing that gives me such a globally warm feeling! :shhh:
02-14-2007 03:59 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

Wonder how some of the "global warming" celebrities live with themselves -- heating their 12,000 sq ft mansions, gas-guzzling limos, private aircraft, etc.

I'll bet I consume a lot less natural resources than they do. Hypocrites.

Practice what you preach. I'm curious, what exactly do some of you do to help be more "green".
02-14-2007 04:21 PM
NIU27 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
huskiealum03 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
NIU007 Wrote:There may not be global warming, but this was by far the warmest December to January period that I can remember, going back 30+ years. I mean, we were getting temperatures in the 50s in mid-January. It was so warm it was freaky. Now it's back to normal. There's at least local warming, though that of course could be due to Dog Fan.

When I was a kid in '82 or so there was 60 degree weather with thunderstorms on Christmas Eve - that was about the time that TIME and the NY Times said that an new Ice Age was coming and there was nothing that we could do about it.

no one on this board is qualified to talk about the legitimacy or lack thereof of global warming. Unless you've thoroughly studied the subject, and can dispute or back up those studies and specific points, everyone is just blowing hot air here. End of conversation.

I am so glad that you think you have any right to end conversations - ignore it if you want.

Concurrent with the rise in global mean surface temperature during the 1990s (the "hottest decade on record") there was a dramatic drop in the number of surface reporting stations, especially in Arctic regions of the former Soviet Union. Not surprisingly, when you eliminate a significant number of lower temperatures from the set of global reported temperatures, you obtain a higher mean.

Will global warming wreck havoc to the world - no one knows, it may lead to more fertile ground worldwide, more temperate climates worldwide, more food, and less cold!
So we do nothing and only act when it is too late. Glad you hate your kids and grandkids. 04-chairshot

"Glad you hate your kids and grandkids" - What BS - that is the crap that is spewed by people who don't want to have a legitamate discussion.

You live in a fantasy world - even the most optimistic envirornmentalists say that implementing there ideas would have little if any impact on the climate.

the VAST majority of scientists who believe in global warming don't see it as a cataclysmic event. This is a big media driven let's sell newspaper issue.

Go back and look at stories from 20 years ago - they say that all the rain forests will be gone in 20 years, that the coasts will be flooded and unliveable, and numerous other claims - NONE of them happened.

If you wonder why there is more storm damage now than 50 years ago - it is because more people live on the coasts!!!
Fine. Lets not do anything. Lets keep polluting the earth. I don't really expect man to be smart enough to keep from killing themselves.

The earth is cleaner now than it has ever been. The fact is that the things that enviornmentalists want to do will have no impact on the weather! Face it - a volcanic eruption spews more pollution in the air than man does in several years!!!

How about Al Gore complaing while flying around in a private jet!!! WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!!
02-14-2007 04:31 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

RangerRocket Wrote:Wonder how some of the "global warming" celebrities live with themselves -- heating their 12,000 sq ft mansions, gas-guzzling limos, private aircraft, etc.

Practice what you preach. I'm curious, what exactly do some of you do to help be more "green".

Well I for one help the earth by not flying private jets to Global Warming circle jerks in Africa. The amount of CO produced by Hollywood and lefty hypocrites as they travel the world on their corporate jets is more CO than I or my family will produce in a life time.

And just to show how sensitive I am to the global warming screamers, I promise to throw fewer beer cans into the fire at the cabin this summer. Oh yeah, and I tried one of those low wattage florescent type bulbs - made my house look like my office. No thanks. The weather man cannot tell me with any degree of accuracy what the weather will be like in 3 days, and I am supposed to believe these "end of world" screeds on climate change 10, 50, 100, 150, 200 years from now? Just like I was supposed to believe we were all going to die from (pick your poison)

Not enough flu vaccine
Over development leading to starvation
Ozone depletion
Under development leading to disease
The next Ice Age
DDT
Zombie attack
Cell phone cancer
Global Thermonuclear War (only at the hands of America, of course)
Bird Flu
Ebola
Rising ocean levels
Declining rain forests
(Insert favorite alarmist moment here)

There is NO scientific consensus on global warming. None. Anyone who claims that global warming is fact is not following scientific method. A consensus will never be achieved as there are quacks on both sides, but major and respected players are far from agreement. My favorite complaint on global warming is how the talking heads have proclaimed it "fact" and have even suggested disbarring or prosecuting scientists who claim otherwise - a veritable inquisition on dissension.

The global warming scare has enabled environmental advocacy groups to raise billions of dollars in contributions and government grants. It has given politicians (from Al Gore down) opportunities to pose as prophets of doom and slayers of evil corporations. And it has given bureaucrats at all levels of government, from the United Nations to city councils, powers that threaten our jobs and individual liberty.

It
02-14-2007 05:07 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
huskiealum03 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:

The earth is cleaner now than it has ever been. The fact is that the things that enviornmentalists want to do will have no impact on the weather! Face it - a volcanic eruption spews more pollution in the air than man does in several years!!!

How about Al Gore complaing while flying around in a private jet!!! WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!!

I don't know if I'd say the earth is cleaner than it's ever been. The US probably is, with the Clean Air Laws and other environmental laws that Bush, if he had his way, would probably eliminate, in order to make it cheaper for big business. Industrializing countries like India and China are worse, not that we can do much about that.

The earth actually cooled briefly after Krakatoa. I believe it also did after Mt. Pinatubo, not sure though. Pollution (other than carbon) by volcanoes or otherwise probably cools the earth, by creating more clouds, at least that's what aerosols were found to do.

As for me, I don't use a lot of energy, living in a small townhouse. I rarely use air travel. My current car gets mediocre gas mileage - my next car I definitely want better gas mileage, if only to save money on gas. Maybe a hybrid.
02-14-2007 05:24 PM
NIU27 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

NIU007 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
huskiealum03 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:

I don't know if I'd say the earth is cleaner than it's ever been. The US probably is, with the Clean Air Laws and other environmental laws that Bush, if he had his way, would probably eliminate, in order to make it cheaper for big business. Industrializing countries like India and China are worse, not that we can do much about that.

The earth actually cooled briefly after Krakatoa. I believe it also did after Mt. Pinatubo, not sure though. Pollution (other than carbon) by volcanoes or otherwise probably cools the earth, by creating more clouds, at least that's what aerosols were found to do.

As for me, I don't use a lot of energy, living in a small townhouse. I rarely use air travel. My current car gets mediocre gas mileage - my next car I definitely want better gas mileage, if only to save money on gas. Maybe a hybrid.

You are correct - I should have said the earth is cleaner now SINCE THE INDUSTRIAL AGE. Of course the earth was cleaner before the industrial age.

Thanks!
02-14-2007 05:31 PM
RednBlackHuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU and UGA

NIU007 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:
huskiealum03 Wrote:
NIU27 Wrote:

The earth's atmosphere is actually a bit cleaner due to the ban of the use of CFCs back in the 1970s or 1980s. The lifetime of these chemicals in the atmosphere can be up to 20-30 years. So, these CFCs should be leaving our atmosphere fairly soon.

When there are major volcanic eruptions, the ash that is put into the atmosphere actually creates a global cooling for 1-2 years after the eruption. The ash will actually reflect incoming radiation from the sun or absorb it and transmit it back to space instead of allowing it to reach the surface of the Earth.

As for aerosols providing cooling of the Earth...this is a hot topic in the field of climatology right now. NOTHING concrete has been found yet. They have been found to create warming or cooling of the atmosphere.
02-14-2007 05:44 PM
RednBlackHuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU and UGA

Huskie_Jon Wrote:The fact that there were so many hurricanes In 2005 is proof of global warming, as well as the fact that there were so few hurricanes in 2006. This is further emphasized by the fact the 2004 was an average year for hurricanes. One can only conclude that there must be global warming.

The reason for the increase in hurricanes in 2005 is because of overall warmer sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico. Ocean water is the ultimate fuel for a hurricane.

However...
The reason for the below average amount of hurricanes in 2006 was due to El Nino. El Nino creates stronger upper-level winds and wind shear that inhibits the formation of hurricanes.
02-14-2007 05:49 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

RangerRocket Wrote:Wonder how some of the "global warming" celebrities live with themselves -- heating their 12,000 sq ft mansions, gas-guzzling limos, private aircraft, etc.

Although conservative, I strongly support the preservation of the environment. I recycle and try to use recycled products, do not use aerosol sprays, own a hybrid car, make a concerted effort to be more energy efficient, etc. In addition, I support organizations that plant trees and have supported such organizations as the Nature Conservancy. I am an active supporter of farmland preservation organizations, such as the DeKalb County Farmland Foundation and the American Farmland Trust.
02-14-2007 06:29 PM
NIUJDK Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators

RednBlackHuskie Wrote:
Huskie_Jon Wrote:The fact that there were so many hurricanes In 2005 is proof of global warming, as well as the fact that there were so few hurricanes in 2006. This is further emphasized by the fact the 2004 was an average year for hurricanes. One can only conclude that there must be global warming.

The reason for the increase in hurricanes in 2005 is because of overall warmer sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico. Ocean water is the ultimate fuel for a hurricane.

However...
The reason for the below average amount of hurricanes in 2006 was due to El Nino. El Nino creates stronger upper-level winds and wind shear that inhibits the formation of hurricanes.

What are you doing??? Can't you see the members of the global warming religion don't deal in facts? They FEEL better when they can save they are saving the planet and they FEEL happy when others are saving on energy consumption and they FEEL good when new legislation is passed to put businesses (otherwise known as employers) out of business due to the high cost of doing business and they will FEEL better when they invites all the socialists and communists into our treasury to take our money with this hoax. Why are you trying to confuse them with facts???
02-14-2007 09:11 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

NIUJDK Wrote:
RednBlackHuskie Wrote:

However...

What are you doing??? Can't you see the members of the global warming religion don't deal in facts? They FEEL better when they can save they are saving the planet and they FEEL happy when others are saving on energy consumption and they FEEL good when new legislation is passed to put businesses (otherwise known as employers) out of business due to the high cost of doing business and they will FEEL better when they invites all the socialists and communists into our treasury to take our money with this hoax. Why are you trying to confuse them with facts???

Burn him! Burn him for saying this! He's obviously a rightwing boogeyman-witch!
02-15-2007 03:00 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets

Lord Stanley Wrote:
NIUJDK Wrote:
RednBlackHuskie Wrote:

However...

Burn him! Burn him for saying this! He's obviously a rightwing boogeyman-witch!

Burn him? Are you crazy? BURN him? Don't you realize that would be a carbon negative event that would create additional global warming?
02-15-2007 04:30 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

One last note -

With mandatory curbs on U.S. global-warming emissions looking increasingly likely in the next several years, industries are starting to argue over who will pay for the cleanup. One thing is clear: Whatever the cost, it will get passed along to consumers.
02-15-2007 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.