Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: who?
Toledo
Akron
Ohio
Miami (OH)
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who do you think the 'mystery Ohio school' is?
Bookmark and Share
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: Who do you think the 'mystery Ohio school' is?
(02-15-2012 11:24 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:05 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  Let's say Temple declines the offer

And CUSA picks up UTSA, Akron, and UNT all of a sudden CUSAMWC seems like a lot smaller step up from WAC/MAC/Sunbelt than it is currently.

If The Merger does this correctly they can end the WAC, cripple the MAC, and Sunbelt still won't be much of a factor

So the plan is to cripple the MAC by taking Akron?

03-lmfao

Go ahead and take Akron. The MAC will respond by adding James Madison and come out a better football conference than before.

I think he's saying taking Akron is not doing this correctly.
02-15-2012 11:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(02-15-2012 11:30 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  

And CUSA picks up UTSA, Akron, and UNT all of a sudden CUSAMWC seems like a lot smaller step up from WAC/MAC/Sunbelt than it is currently.

If The Merger does this correctly they can end the WAC, cripple the MAC, and Sunbelt still won't be much of a factor

03-lmfao

Go ahead and take Akron. The MAC will respond by adding James Madison and come out a better football conference than before.

No the plan is to make the MAC an inferior conference by taking Temple, NIU, Ohio/Toledo

There is only one conference more inferior than the new Big East...

The Alliance!

04-rock
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(02-15-2012 11:26 PM)DrBox Wrote:  I don't see why we need to neuter the MAC or sunbelt. They aren't passing us up and provide teams we can play ooc.

still plenty of their scrub teams to go around.
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-15-2012 11:34 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:26 PM)DrBox Wrote:  I don't see why we need to neuter the MAC or sunbelt. They aren't passing us up and provide teams we can play ooc.

still plenty of their scrub teams to go around.
Take teams that will make us money - fine. But neutering doesn't help us.
02-15-2012 11:37 PM
Observer1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: La Tech

If you neuter those conference, that means less TV money for them and more for The Merger
02-15-2012 11:39 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

03-lmfao

Yep.

It will be hard to "cripple" the MAC with the insane amount of market redundancy that exists within the conference.

You can go ahead and take Toledo, the MAC still has Bowling Green in basically the same market.

You can take Ohio and Toledo and the MAC still has 4 other Ohio based schools to work with. You can take Northern Illinois and the MAC will just upgrade Illinois State in its place.

NIU and Toledo may be the best 2 MAC football teams but they are the two worst MAC basketball teams. Ohio is the best overall in football/basketball but its in the smallest market.
02-15-2012 11:40 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2012 11:39 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  

If you neuter those conference, that means less TV money for them and more for The Merger

To be honest the WAC/SBC/MAC aren't making any TV money anyway.
02-15-2012 11:41 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
(02-15-2012 11:34 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:30 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  

03-lmfao

No the plan is to make the MAC an inferior conference by taking Temple, NIU, Ohio/Toledo

There is only one conference more inferior than the new Big East...

The Alliance!

04-rock

Says the purse lady.

No need to take teams to make it inferior. It already is.
02-15-2012 11:43 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Without looking at prior comments...I believe the most likely school to get picked up is (wait for it)...Akron.

They have a name, location, that is brimming with potential growth and success, but their football is death walking among the living. It needs a miracle.
02-15-2012 11:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Observer1 Offline
2nd String

(02-15-2012 11:40 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Yep.

It will be hard to "cripple" the MAC with the insane amount of market redundancy that exists within the conference.

You can go ahead and take Toledo, the MAC still has Bowling Green in basically the same market.

You can take Ohio and Toledo and the MAC still has 4 other Ohio based schools to work with. You can take Northern Illinois and the MAC will just upgrade Illinois State in its place.

NIU and Toledo may be the best 2 MAC football teams but they are the two worst MAC basketball teams. Ohio is the best overall in football/basketball but its in the smallest market.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you that the MAC an already irrelevant conference would be a force after losing its top 3 teams... It would take them 10 plus years to recover
02-15-2012 11:48 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2012 11:48 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Yep.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you that the MAC an already irrelevant conference would be a force after losing its top 3 teams... It would take them 10 plus years to recover

That is what was said when Marshall left.....and now the MAC is listed higher than ever in the Sagarin ratings.

The MAC is resilient with its highly concentrated footprint. You can't just chop it up and make it go away like the WAC.
02-15-2012 11:51 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
If Marshall would be influencing the situation it would be Ohio. Ohio is 88 miles from Marshall and we already play each other in everything. Ohio basketball and football are both in good shape. They would kick most if not all of our rears in VBall, they are usually a top 25 team.

Toledo prob. makes more sence if you are looking for a mid size market. The glass bowl is a lil small for the size of Alliance stadiums at 26K. Toledo basketball sucks though. In our 6-22 season in 03 Toledo was 2 of our wins.

Anyone who was here for the last round know that I supported Toledo when we were looking for our 12th member. I still think if they were given enough time they would have been the 12th member. But the MAC office told them they had 24 hours to make a decision to stay if no answer by then they would have taken steps to remove Toledo from the MAC.
02-15-2012 11:52 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

This thread needs a disclaimer that the Ohio U market and Marshall market are ONE market. Ohio SHOULD NOT be added.
02-15-2012 11:53 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2012 11:52 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Anyone who was here for the last round know that I supported Toledo when we were looking for our 12th member. I still think if they were given enough time they would have been the 12th member. But the MAC office told them they had 24 hours to make a decision to stay if no answer by then they would have taken steps to remove Toledo from the MAC.

OMG!

That would have been fantastic if it happened.

02-13-banana
02-15-2012 11:55 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-15-2012 11:53 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  This thread needs a disclaimer that the Ohio U market and Marshall market are ONE market. Ohio SHOULD NOT be added.

Really? I was not aware of that fact.. if that's the case, then drop O.U. from my list.
02-15-2012 11:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(02-15-2012 11:48 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  It will be hard to "cripple" the MAC with the insane amount of market redundancy that exists within the conference.

And that's exactly why the MAC can't grow. And it's also exactly why any MAC school would jump all over an invite like white on rice.
02-15-2012 11:57 PM
Observer1 Offline
2nd String

(02-15-2012 11:51 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:48 PM)Observer1 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:24 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  So the plan is to cripple the MAC by taking Akron?

03-lmfao

Yep.

That is what was said when Marshall left.....and now the MAC is listed higher than ever in the Sagarin ratings.

The MAC is resilient with its highly concentrated footprint. You can't just chop it up and make it go away like the WAC.

It took almost 10 years to recover from after losing its top school, imagine how long it would take after losing its TOP 3
02-15-2012 11:57 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2012 11:53 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  This thread needs a disclaimer that the Ohio U market and Marshall market are ONE market. Ohio SHOULD NOT be added.

Yes sir!

Because Marshall is in West Virginia and Ohio has 5,000 alumni out of 200,000 living in the state of WV (2.5%) that it a complete duplicate market.

Ohio is in the Central Ohio market only 45 minutes from Columbus. The two schools are NOT in the same market. Huntington is 90 minutes away from Athens.

They are not in the same state, they are certainly not in the same market. Besides Ohio's market is more statewide than locally based due to the status of the school as the state's first university.
02-16-2012 12:00 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Toledo is about 50% bigger than Akron. But Akron is 3 times as close to Cleveland.

The population of both cities shrunk 8% from 2000 to 2010, while the state of Ohio's poplulation grew nearly 2%. That's not a good sign.
02-16-2012 12:02 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2012 11:59 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 11:56 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

Really? I was not aware of that fact.. if that's the case, then drop O.U. from my list.

Yes, that is a fact. The market name even has "huntington" in it. Sorry for the massive pic, it's the only one I could find. Ohio U is in Lawrence County at the southern tip.

Ohio is not located in Lawrence County. One branch campus of the school is in Lawrence county but most of the branch campuses are located in the Columbus metro.

The main campus is located in Athens County and part of the Columbus market.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 12:04 AM by Louis Kitton.)
02-16-2012 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.