Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up
(03-21-2023 10:58 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 10:23 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 09:31 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 08:09 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 07:36 PM)huskiefanatic89 Wrote:  Like i said…talent across the board…and y’all still living in the past season…don’t talk to me when this teams good next year

.. Thats how I feel. Our defense will be much better with the new DC and we upgraded at LB & CB with transfers. Feel our DLINE is solid and expect a break out year from a DE Roy Williams. We have guys who can play along the DLine. Expecting Rocky to be productive as he was in 21. The HUSKIES are a force to be reckoned with. No one, No one in MAC looks at their schedule ... oh thats NIU is cake walk.... THis ream and this program are still an entity to be FEARED in the MAC.

That's a lot of assuming. Assuming all based on optimism, which is fine, but not always accurate. I recall last year when the LB crew was going to improve when Pugh returned. The D was gonna get better with Lafayette returning and all the experience young players gained in 21. Fabian Mccray was going to finally reach his potential. Crawford was going to be the man at TE. Waylee and Brown would lead the MAC in rushing.

We can do the "we should be better at every position" thing almost each spring. Is Rudolph going to be 100%? Is Rocky? Do we just assume every transfer is an immediate improvement to last years starter? Suddenly Dolphin is a great MLB? In 2023 the secondary magically can cover?

There's potential in a lot of places. There's almost always potential. Valid reasons for optimism in the O side. Yes. Any thoughts that the D is going to be very good or even just good is blind optimism.

My typical optimism has been drained from last year. Yeah, I may be living in the past. But at this point I need to be proved otherwise.

Everyone freaked out after the EIU game. Which ended up serving as a precursor to a severely underperforming year. And that was with all of the pieces for success in place...

I know Hammock can coach a mean offense. But I need to see the defensive staff gel with each other. The last few years of Huskie Defense have been abysmal. Nothing like the defenses we were treated to with Knowles and Kane.

Last year didn't ruin my optimism, it altered my assumptions. I used to only see the positive outcomes of most unsure scenarios - "it's his second year so he's naturally going to improve". "he put on/took off 10 lbs...hes going to play better". "he's switching position to where he can really shine". etc etc.

Every situation I only evaluated positive possibility. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't. Im optimistic about this season, but there are way too many unknowns that need to have very positive outcomes for me to make any assumptions about this team being very good. As the spring and fall progresses I think a few of those unknowns will be answered.

It's too early to know exactly what the rest of the division will really look like but last year's mediocrity in the West should at least provide some kind of optimism that we don't have to be great to tread water and potentially win the West. This may be a season where it takes some time to get things right and, if healthy, the division should lend that type of leniency.

Last year, we were 2-6 and were only 3 games behind the leaders. Catch a lucky break here or there and you're a game back and not even all that good. Based on last year (which is a bit of a clouded vision obviously...but), the division is winnable even with an average squad.
03-22-2023 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up - 7 - 03-16-2023, 07:49 PM
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up - Big Red - 03-22-2023 07:43 AM
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up - 7 - 06-11-2023, 11:14 AM
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up - 7 - 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM
RE: Spring 2023 Football roster is up - 7 - 06-12-2023, 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.