Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What will the Pac-12 do?
Stay at 10.
Add Gonzaga.
Add SDSU and SMU.
Add Gonzaga, SDSU, and SMU.
[Show Results]

Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
(01-24-2023 11:56 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-24-2023 09:24 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(01-24-2023 05:37 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-23-2023 11:04 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-23-2023 05:36 PM)Herdforlife Wrote:  IMO I think a P4 works better than a P5, I wouldn’t be opposed to the ACC and PAC12 go after the Big12 together.

ACC takes: WVU, Kansas, K State and Iowa St.

PAC12 takes: Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, San Diego St and SMU.

You forgot arguably the 3 biggest non-SEC brands in Texas: Baylor, TCU and UH.

The ACC and Pac could have had any big12 schools 18 months ago and passed, now it's too late for them. I wonder if some of the 4c will start thinking about this as time goes on and we continue to hear deafening silence from Kliavkoff.

18 months ago Jim Phillips would have been on the job for 6 months and he was still getting up to speed on the ACC. Had the Presidents hired an ACC guy..............
The bottom line is that the ACC could have had any school that ESPN was willing to pay for. Obviously ESPN preferred to have what was left of the Big 12 stay together and add a few schools, and why not they are getting that league for half price. Since FOX and ESPN have agreed to continue to split the Big 12, each network gets the content they want without having to foot the entire cost.
For FOX and ESPN it's like renting instead of buying.

Yeah - I believe that one of the biggest misnomers in conference realignment discussions is the fan belief that the TV networks *want* consolidation and superconferences. They absolutely do not. If they had their druthers, they'd want the situation of the BCS/early-CFP era where there were 5 conferences with relatively equal branding power and relatively equal valuations. The Big Ten and SEC were still more valuable at that time, but not dramatically so. It's basic economics that if there are fewer suppliers of the top product, then the price of that top product goes way up... and consolidation means fewer suppliers.

So, none of these TV networks are paying for Big Ten and SEC rights because they *like* doing it. They're only paying them because they're now down to 2 choices for the top product in college football as opposed to 5.

My point has kind of been lost in this, but I didn't say "why" those conferences passed, only that they did. It doesn't matter why they passed. Just like if the 4c all decide to stay in the Pac, it's entirely possible that Yormark shifts his focus eastward and decides to fill out his conference from ACC leftovers in 2036 instead of Pac leftovers in 2030. Right now, every Pac school except maybe WSU and OSU could get into the big 12 with a phone call. But what happens if they sign a GoR until 2035 because they're all so anxious to stick together?

The more I look at this, the more I wonder how Kliavkoff is going to be able to get everybody on the same page. To wit:

UW/UO: They want the most money they can get on a contract that ends no later than 2030. No reason not to sign a GoR, but no exit fees.

Cal/Stanford: They'd like to join the B1G, but might not ever get the chance. Probably willing to sign a big GoR, exit fees, long term deal, anything and everything necessary to keep the show rolling. They could easily pivot to the big 12 or perhaps even ACC if necessary in future cycles if things don't work out in the Pac.

4c: Short-sh Term GoR is better because then they get another shot to consider the big 12 before 2036. Probably would want deal to end no later than 2033. No exit fees.

WSU/OSU: Please don't leave us and stick us with the MWC.

4 camps of 2-4 schools each, all with different priorities and agendas. And who knows about the whole streaming vs OTA debate. It could be the PN4 squawking about the change, it could be the 4c, or it could be WSU, Utah and ASU. I have no idea, but that introduces another level of uncertainty to an already difficult situation.

Tick Tock, Kliavkoff. Get your Cats rustled up, or some of them are gonna get away.

I'll be pretty shocked if the PAC signs a grant of rights. It's not even clear to me if the Big 12 has signed a grant of rights, and Kansas is the only school in the conference that's considered to be even a fringe Big 10/SEC candidate.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023 01:50 AM by Poster.)
01-25-2023 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward. - Poster - 01-25-2023 01:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.