Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What will the Pac-12 do?
Stay at 10.
Add Gonzaga.
Add SDSU and SMU.
Add Gonzaga, SDSU, and SMU.
[Show Results]

Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
(01-22-2023 06:02 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-22-2023 02:30 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-21-2023 01:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-21-2023 12:58 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-21-2023 12:08 PM)XLance Wrote:  Face it G&B Florida State is not a true blue-blood football program like Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Southern Cal or Notre Dame. They just don't have the long history like some of those other programs.
That's not to say that Florida State isn't the #1 Tier 2 team in the country.
Notre Dame is the ONLY blue-blood program that is not in a P2. The ACC, Big 12 and PAC are the best of the rest, with some of their members hoping for a chance to move up to the big time. I imagine that it is frustrating for a school like FSU, Washington or Miami to be on the outside looking in while schools like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Purdue are collecting "the big bucks".
Keep up hope, however, when the pressure on Vanderbilt or MSU, gets great enough where they are asked to upgrade facilities or enlarge their stadiums beyond what they are comfortable with, they may decide to drop down where the cost of competition is not as great and it may create an opportunity for the 'Noles or the Hurricanes because the SEC does need a second school in the State of Florida.

As you correctly noted, there are only a few true "blue-bloods". However, both the SEC and the B1G have 9 schools that form an enviable upper crust:

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, A&M, LSU, Texas, OU, Auburn, Tennessee

tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, USC, UCLA

And that leaves out basketball blue bloods like Kentucky and Indiana, and doesn't mention that Mississippi St or South Carolina can jump up and compete in any given year, too. Heck, if Leach was still around those 2 might be favored to be top 4 in the SEC next year.

FSU comfortably fits into that upper crust in either of the P2, calling them a 2nd tier school is insulting and shows that you should probably stick to basketball.

Your snide comment is uncalled for. You basically agreed with him.
Both of your comments are basically true.

There are 8 or 9 blue-bloods (depending on whether you include Penn St.). FSU is not one of them. FSU is near the top of the next group with Florida, Miami, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia and Clemson. And both the Big 10 and SEC have a strong series of schools in the next group, as you mentioned.

LSU has 3 titles with 3 different coaches in the past 20 years, I don't see how you could include PSU and not LSU.

LSU is clearly NOT a blue blood any more than Miami is, who has had more success than LSU in the last 30 years. From 1974-1999, they only had 14 winning seasons. 8 years were 4 wins or less. Penn St. has only 8 non-winning season going back to 1938 and only 3 years with 4 wins or less in that time frame, including the 4-5 covid year.

So, LSU has been better in the past 25 years, and PSU was better in the 25-50 years ago window?

Look at their all time records, LSU has won about 2/3 of their games, PSU, more like 71%. Small advantage PSU. In Championships, PSU has 2 since 1912 and 4 overall, LSU has 4 since 1958 and 5 overall. A bit bigger advantage LSU.

They've both been in one of the 2 highest profile conferences for 30 years. During that time period, PSU has won 4 and LSU has won 5.

I'll admit, I thought that LSU would look much stronger than PSU, but they actually end up looking very similar overall. I'm not trying to say that SEC Titles mean more than B1G Titles, but they certainly don't mean less, and LSU has more Conference and National Titles across any time period you care to name. Based upon this, I wouldn't say that PSU is a "blue blood" while LSU is not. Or, rather, I'd say that if PSU is a blue blood, then so is LSU.
01-23-2023 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward. - bryanw1995 - 01-23-2023 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.