GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
RE: Houston vs UT-San Antonio discussion
(08-05-2022 07:50 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 10:04 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 09:17 PM)maccoog Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 08:52 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 01:52 PM)maccoog Wrote:  Thanks! I love 69!

So do we. UTSA was established in '69.

The UH Football booster club is called the 46ers because our football team started in 1946. Please tell me your booster club is the 69ers. I need a shirt.

Yes, please tell me your booster club is the 69ers. I need that shirt as well, it's been my jersey number for every sport that I have ever played.

Hah, no, nothing like that yet, unfortunately. If we did get something like that going, someone would probably complain about it, and we'd likely then put it to rest anyway. We've already had to do away with one unique tradition we had started.

Being new to football, and looking for unique traditions to call our own - since most everything else has already been done/claimed - we started a "Come And Take It" tradition, which ties back to the Battle of Gonzalez during the Texas Revolution in 1835. We even asked the Mayor of Gonzalez for permission to use the motto/flag at our football games, and got his blessing as well. A small minority of people in San Antonio took issue with the flag though, saying it's anti-Mexican and anti-immigrant, so we got rid of it. A former UTSA professor actually started the petition btw.

Thing is, we had the flag at our football games from year one of our program (2011), and later created a giant version of the flag that would be unfurled between the 3rd and 4th quarter in the student section. No one ever said anything. It wasn't until we built our new R.A.C.E. (Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence) facility, and it had a lit version of the phrase in the entryway, that anything was even said, though we had already used the tradition for a decade by that time.

[Image: AAO72WTKF5HAFK6GRCZMYKOVXE.png?_a=AJAEtWI0]

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/14/...0Republish

I must be missing something, I like it, I can't see anything that would be controversial, but then again I'm not of Mexican decent.

I bet that the professor that started the petition wasn't of Mexican decent either.

PS... I'm a big fan of UTSA, and have been from the minute they joined the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2022 10:26 AM by GoOwls111.)
08-05-2022 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Houston vs UT-San Antonio discussion - GoOwls111 - 08-05-2022 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.