Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

April 9 Practice Report
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
April 9 Practice Report
https://niuhuskies.com/news/2022/4/9/foo...mmage.aspx

Well, I had written half of a really long report on today's practice and just lost it due to a crash. I'm not writing that whole thing again, so here's the abbreviated version. Thanks to Teamduh for previous reports by the way, much appreciated.

They practiced outside in Huskie Stadium. It was spirited to say the least, even chippy at times, which is OK by me. This team is really getting after it.

Rocky was excellent and looks like he has taken the next step. In command, accurate, great decisions, you name it. He made one long TD connection with Trayvon Rudolph down the left sideline which was a great throw and equally great catch, with Javaughn Byrd all over Rudolph. Rocky also threw some accurate intermediate routes and checked down when necessary. Great day for him and the passing game overall. Watch out for this offense if they are always that good.

The QB order was Rocky, followed by Jeff Lomax, then Justin Lynch. Ethan Hampton was not dressed. Lomax really impressed me. Big kid, very strong arm, throws a nice, tight spiral. He looked very good and will definitely be in the conversation down the road. Lynch did well too. He suffers a bit in comparison to Lomax because the latter has such a strong arm, but Lynch did well. Nothing spectacular, but solid.

Dustin Fletcher did not get into the scrimmage. He has, however, eliminated the hitch in his throwing motion, which is quite an accomplishment. Throwing motions can be really hard to change. He looks much, much better throwing the ball, good for him. Not so good for him is that he appears stuck at the bottom of the depth chart. By the looks of him he can definitely help someone, if not our team, so he likely has some decisions to make.

The first O-line was Marques Cox, John Champe, Pete Nygra, Logan Z, and Nolan Potter left to right. JJ Lippe was dressed but did not participate in the scrimmage, as was true of several guys on both sides of the ball. The first O-line looked good as you would expect, although the D-line made them work hard. The second O-line was Evan Buss (who was in with the ones on various packages as he was last fall), Luke Pinnick, Matt Schooley/Seth Thompson, Tyler Pitcel, and Drew Hoth left to right. Schooley and Thompson rotated at center. This group was in a real dogfight with the D-line.

Harrison Waylee and Billy Dozier got all the carries today. Antario Brown and Mason Blakemore were not dressed. Coach has said that's a precaution to keep them healthy. Fine by me. I held my breath every time Waylee carried the ball too. Both Waylee and Dozier did well. You can see why the coaches are interested in Dozier as a swiss army knife guy, he has good skills and looks natural carrying the ball.

All the tight ends except Miles Joiner played today. Liam Soraghan and Tristen Tewes had most of the throws directed toward them, with Drew Cassens getting a couple too. They all looked good and caught everything that was catchable.

A whole bunch of receivers rotated today. The top three of Cole Tucker, Trayvon Rudolph and Shemar Thornton looked very good and should make for a dynamic group this fall. Several others had their moments, including Mohamed Toure, Fabian McCray and Messiah Travis. Mason Pierre-Antoine looks good and you can see why the coaches are talking him up. Kacper Rutkiewicz participated in drills and looked good, although I did not notice him in the scrimmage. I believe he has been out for some of the spring, so its good to see him back. George Gumbs is very interesting, whether you consider him a small tight end or big receiver. He runs and catches well and looks like he could provide some match-up problems for defenses.

Quite a few guys on defense were not dressed and/or did not participate in the scrimmage, including Devonte O'Malley, Jeff Griffin, James Ester, Cade Haberman, Kyle Pugh, Makhi Nelson-Douglas, Jordan Hansen, Eric Rogers and probably others. Izayah Green-May played a lot at D-end and was solid but not spectacular. Demond Taylor, Jacob Waskow, Jalonnie Williams and Jaden Wilson took most of the reps at D-tackle. Taylor looks like he has raised his game and could be a force this fall. He's starting to do a nice Nabal Jefferson impersonation, and that is quite a compliment. Wilson has been listed at D-end and weighs 254 pounds. This could be a permanent move where he's making the long term commitment to gain the necessary weight for D-tackle, or maybe he's just pitching in while so many others are out. He held his own out there.

Lots of linebackers saw action. The one who caught my eye was Ryan King. He lined up in the middle quite a bit and did pretty well. Jaden Dolphin made a bunch of plays, as did Nick Rattin, Daveren Rayner and others. Dayven Shinhoster too, lots of guys running around out there.

Jordan Gandy and Javaughn Byrd are the clear starters at corner. Several others saw time with Eric Rogers not dressed. I'm not sure who's starting at safety, but Devin Lafayette and Jordan White sure look the part physically. They look like NFL-sized safeties out there. CJ Brown is going to start and/or play a lot of course, just commenting on the size of those other guys.

Tom Foley did some punting and averaged about 40 yards a kick. He did launch a few longer ones and looks like he will be solid. It was weird not seeing Ference though. No field goals were attempted while I was there.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2022 08:02 PM by NIU1981.)
04-09-2022 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
April 9 Practice Report - NIU1981 - 04-09-2022 07:54 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - HawaiiToNIU - 04-09-2022, 10:15 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - Teamduh - 04-09-2022, 11:04 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - epasnoopy - 04-10-2022, 07:15 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - BDB5yp - 04-10-2022, 09:47 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - BigChilla - 04-10-2022, 11:52 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - pantone1935 - 04-10-2022, 01:24 PM
April 9 Practice Report - Dog Fan - 04-10-2022, 01:56 PM
April 9 Practice Report - Teamduh - 04-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - StevenNIU - 04-10-2022, 03:56 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - Big Redd - 04-10-2022, 08:54 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - StevenNIU - 04-11-2022, 04:23 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - BigChilla - 04-11-2022, 09:30 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - HawaiiToNIU - 04-11-2022, 11:29 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - BigChilla - 04-11-2022, 08:53 PM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - HW58 - 04-11-2022, 09:50 AM
RE: April 9 Practice Report - pantone1935 - 04-11-2022, 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.