ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday
(10-12-2021 09:38 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(10-11-2021 08:17 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-11-2021 04:12 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(10-11-2021 04:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(10-11-2021 12:31 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  It actually fits with the claims of who is being looked at in that CBS Article.

Adding App State, UAB, UNT, and UTSA does a few things:

1. App State and ECU while not close within the context of North Carolina, are close in terms of geographical footprint of the conference. They would also bring the AAC to the forefront of the state since App and ECU are two FOOTBALL schools, and the only two FOOTBALL schools, in the State. Everywhere else is basketball first. That's a win for the AAC and ESPN.

2. UAB - UAB provides a center point between Tulane, USF, App State, and ECU and obviously brings increased funding and the market of Birmingham. That is a geographical fit

3. UNT - UNT is in the same market as SMU so the AAC doesn't gain a new market as with App and UAB, but they do provide a travel partner for SMU and increase visibility of the AAC as a meaningful rivalry would undoubtedly develop between the public North Texas and small private SMU. They also provide another regional game for both Tulsa and Wichita State (should either of them stay).

4. UTSA - This is the only pure market add that I can tell. They may substitute for not having a suitable add in the Houston market. They are also as far from Tulane as UAB is from USF so while bring a fringe program in terms of geography, they still bring a new market while being close enough.

I highly doubt the scenario that the CBS Article proposes is the truth, and if it is that those will be the four schools added. The name drop and claims of a source are interesting enough though, since everyone here is always asking for sources.

However that still may not be a better option than the Sun Belt. It's effectively the same footprint with presumably more exposure on linear television networks and a return to almost all Saturday games. If the Sun Belt can get rid of Tuesday/Wednesday games, keep Thursday/Friday games, and then have an opportunity for linear network Saturday games, I believe the Belt is the better option with a couple of targeted adds.

Eric already latching on to the single article that mentioned App as a possible aAC candidate I see

I reported weeks ago AppState was a possibility based what I’ve heard…. especially if the westward gambit failed… which it has.

It would be sort of ridiculous for the AAC not to visit App and have some discussions with them. Due diligence says they should visit quite a few schools before taking a vote to extend invites, honestly.

I would assume that's the extent of consideration App is under for right now though.

Conversations have been going on for several years as I suspect they have been with numerous other schools. Any good CEO is always looking for the next person to fill a vacancy.

I know Gillin went on a tour of AAC programs a few years back and that had some role in the development of the plan for the North Endzone Facility. I always wondered if that wasn't the biggest critique by the AAC of App State, otherwise why are we building facilities to compete with AAC programs and not with Sun Belt programs?

Lot of writing between the lines but I can't read the language.
10-12-2021 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - ericsaid - 10-12-2021 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.