Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does the Alliance help the ACC
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
RE: How does the Alliance help the ACC
The only thing this likely really does for the ACC is lay the groundwork for 10+ years out for a change of direction that ESPN might not want.

It's theoretically possible that the ACC has a sneaky play where they can threaten ESPN and the SEC's wishes (and maybe ND's) on playoff format, and extract something out of ESPN to turn heel on PAC and B1G. My understanding is that the playoff decision needs to be unanimous anyway, so I'm not sure exactly how that would work.

What I think this potentially does is take the first step toward the B1G, ACC and PAC pooling their media rights in the 2030s. I think that there's a perception that the SEC and ESPN are working toward positioning the SEC as essentially the "major leagues" or Power 1 conference, and theoretically the counter would be "three conferences in one" that stretch coast to coast, and operate and negotiate as one unit. The first step to countering that is to wait out the ESPN window of exclusivity on the playoffs before expanding, with the idea that FOX or CBS having skin in the playoff game is preferable to having the playoff a wholly owned subsidiary of the same entity who is supporting the elevation of the SEC to lone elite status. That's the only near term tangible play by the alliance.

As for the ACC...about 10-11 years from now, it could start getting interesting. When you start getting 4-5 years out from the end of the ACC deal, if the Alliance is still a thing, ESPN is going to have to think about how much it's worth to avoid the scenario of the Alliance going to market as one unit.

Personally, I think the chances of the Alliance amounting to anything much are pretty small, and will probably fade away long before ESPN even has to think about it. But it's at least the first small baby steps of the ACC flashing some willingness of independence of ESPN, something the previous ACC administration wouldn't countenance at all, going back decades.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2021 11:03 AM by Lou_C.)
08-26-2021 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does the Alliance help the ACC - Lou_C - 08-26-2021 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.