Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SI The SEC, NCAA and a Fight to Change College Sports
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: SI The SEC, NCAA and a Fight to Change College Sports
(07-20-2021 10:46 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 05:48 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 05:23 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  The Big Ten announced an AD agreement that they were abandoning FCS buy games ... and obviously that would have been in part under pressure from or to make themselves more attractive to media partners ... but then walked it back to schools that had four Big Ten home games are allowed to have an FCS buy game.

They also announced a requirement to have 10 P5 games ... but then a certain set of Go5 schools were declared to be "good enough"

The end result was fewer FCS buy games per season, but IIRC not 50% fewer, and the total number of Go5 games buy games ended up not changing all that much.

Fully suspect schools in the American, Mountain West, BYU and Army-(Navy and Air Force are in the AAC & MWC)will all be considered "Good Enough" and will not be left out

Back in 2015, they said that ND, BYU, Army and Navy (which had just joined the AAC at the time of the report) would count, and that UC and UConn would be allowed.

They stated not all of the American schools would count, but Big Ten schools could apply for a school to count and the Big Ten would decide based on their recent RPI "and other factors" (I presume "other factors" is asking the media partner if a school has a big enough brand).

I haven't tracked whether any Big Ten schools have successfully{+} applied for any MWC schools to count, nor for additional AAC schools, since the policy came into effect in 2015. I'm pretty sure that all three with a mandate, the Big Ten, SEC and ACC, count ND, BYU and Army.

{+ One presumes that only successful applications would be announced.}

Ultimately, I think the practical exceptions ended up being over the past few years was that if a Big Ten school had a preexisting home-and-home series scheduled against a non-P5 school, then that would count as a P5 game. The league essentially didn't want to punish schools that already had game contracts in place (particular for road games where they'd have a large financial penalty for canceling).

So, I wouldn't assign any past designation as a permanent exception to any school outside of ND (which is clearly a P5 school despite being an independent in any event).
07-20-2021 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SI The SEC, NCAA and a Fight to Change College Sports - Frank the Tank - 07-20-2021 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.