Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA lawsuit on payment of student-athletes in Supreme Court - - where will it lead?
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: NCAA lawsuit on payment of student-athletes in Supreme Court - - where will it lead?
(04-26-2021 03:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-26-2021 12:44 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(04-26-2021 10:17 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-26-2021 12:47 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 11:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  If everything you said is true---then how on earth could any court ever defend not giving the players full free agency and striking down the NCAA fake "amateur model"? Yet---even you dont think they will do that. So---clearly even you know there is more to it than the points you made.

All Im saying is if your going to effectively blow up the whole amateur model---then at least replace it with a professional NFL/NBA type model we know will work pretty well....not this idiotic NIL third party pay-for-play crap. When Phil Knight buys the Bama starting 24 to win a national championship for his Ducks---everyone will suddenly start crying about how the "sport is broken". lol...Ill just be laughing my butt off thinking---how could you guys NOT see this coming? That said--this train is rolling and Ive already mentioned it in multiple threads---NIL is starting in just few months whether the NCAA likes it not. Schools need to be figuring out how to organize their well heeled boosters to give NIL deals to key recruits. Schools need to be learning how to carefully aim their billionaire super-fans at recruiting targets like a cash fire hose. Those schools that arent getting ready for the new NIL era RIGHT NOW are going to be left behind by the schools that are getting ready to do those things---because its coming THIS SUMMER.

You are misreading my comment. The courts aren't going to throw the NCAA a bone b/c they think it's the right ruling. They're just not willing to completely tear it down yet. My guess is the courts give them admin power over payments as a consolation prize, and that will screw things up worse than you fear.

P.S. Do you actually think Phil Knight has not already been buying the Ducks every player they could get, for years now? Come on...

NIL isn't going to change much at the top. Those players have been getting paid by boosters since the 1960s. I see NIL as a good thing, b/c it will allow lesser players to receive some compensation commensurate with their talent, that they would not normally receive. There isn't going to be some giant influx of booster money that wasn't there before. Boosters who wanted to pay to play have been doing that forever. The difference will be NIL opportunities for more players not at the top rung of under the table payments.

You see it as the wild wild West. I see it as business as usual, but if the schools are put in charge, they will make it worse, and less equitable for non-P5 schools. Also, you make it sound like NIL is a booster payment, when in fact, it's compensation by any company for use of a player's name, image or likeness. Essentially ad money that the school previously kept for themselves. Boosters just funneling cash to players to go to a school will still be illegal, although enforcement may become more laughable than it already is.

I just don't see your doomsday scenario, or your angst over the poor NCAA not getting to run an amateur league, while they make billions for their own organization.

If you think that, then there is no way you have read the actual laws. With rare exception, most of the 19 states that have new NIL laws will bar any school, organization, or league from enforcing ANY restriction on player NIL earnings. In fairness—-a few states have included clauses that attempt to limit it to legit economically viable NIL deals, but they are going to find that personal appearance fees will be impossible to limit as the value of those fees reflect personal preference and vanity (the value is up to the eye of the beholder). That said, the vast majority of these new state NIL laws that have been passed bar leagues, schools, and organizations from making ANY restrictions on a players NIL earnings.

So yes, when legislators leave a loophole that large—of course boosters will use it. I mean—you’ve made the claim that wide spread funneling of money to players by boosters already exists despite it being illegal—if true—of course the funneling of money to players will explode when it’s actually legalized. Like I said earlier—schools that aren’t getting their boosters prepared and organized for this purpose will be left in the dust by schools that are organizing their boosters. The only way I see to limit NIL deals to legit NIL is to bar boosters from offering NIL. Since few of the state laws even attempt to do that---the only chance that might happen would be from the Feds. One federal proposal (the Gonzales bill) does make an attempt to do just that---but thats not the only bill vying for congressional support. Last I heard, Corey Booker's rival bill makes no attempt to control boosters---in fact--his proposal goes even beyond NIL. For instance---Booker's proposed legislation would require the conferences to share the TV revenue with the players.

Maybe they will eventually get it right and there will not be a wild west---but---this much is obvious. They arent going to get it right by this summer....so, at a minimum--its becoming increasing clear there is going to be a wild west free agency period that starts this summer.

Yes, I have read some of the laws. IMO, there should not be restrictions. This is where we disagree.

You seem to think it's some sort of disaster to let athletes earn money off their name, image or likeness. I say it's capitalism.

The idea that college sports is an amateur enterprise is ludicrous. The only thing amateur about it is the NCAA and universities have managed to keep all the revenue to themselves while operating under the guise of amateurism.

I agree with Jeb. Remove all the protections from the law, and tax the NCAA like any other business. And let entrepreneurs pay the players legally for their services.

For some reason, you seem to think this will result in a flood of outright booster payments to athletes. No, only the very best players, the "game changers" so to speak, usually get significant under the table payments. As I said, that won't change. There aren't an unlimited supply of boosters at each school throwing around hundreds of thousands, and that has been a thing forever.

What will change are businesses jumping in to pay players to do ads for them. You know who gets that money right now? The damn schools. They charge fees to businesses to license the university name or likeness. Now the players can do it themselves, and the businesses can bypass the universities.

And NIL will likely go much farther down the food chain than just the game changers, so it becomes more equitable for more players. You see this as some unmitigated disaster, I see it as righting a wrong that has been perpetuated for a century.

My concern is the courts won't carry it out completely, will devise some half ass measures b/c of the political clout of the universities, and it will be worse than ever.

But not because it's a murky legal decision, b/c it's a too harsh reality for the poor downtrodden universities who want to perpetuate the sham amateur system so they keep all the money.

What money? Most schools are transferring subsidies TO the athletic department to offset red ink. Just a handful of schools are transferring money FROM the athletic department to the schools. If the the amateur model is really just a devious scheme to "keep all the money"....lol...well, most schools are clearly doing it wrong.

That said, I dont care if the players share in the money. I dont care if the players get NIL. What I want is a system that makes sense. If you want the kids to be paid pro players---fine---then use a pro system. There should be multi-year contracts, team salary caps (for competitive balance), and a revenue sharing agreement between players and the schools. I just see no reason to reinvent the wheel. The NFL and NBA have the most successful leagues in the nation. There's your model.

You don't think P5 schools get lots of money? Not my fault most of them overspend, while the rest of us choke trying to keep up. Doesn't change the fact that billions are going somewhere, and not to the players.

I still don't understand why it bugs you for the players to make money off their own images. What makes sense to you? The NCAA administering it? Yeah, they do such a fine job with everything else.
04-26-2021 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NCAA lawsuit on payment of student-athletes in Supreme Court - - where will it lead? - TripleA - 04-26-2021 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.