Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going to be."
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ...
(04-19-2021 04:56 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 01:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 10:15 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-18-2021 10:35 PM)hammannja Wrote:  The most likely current path to college football play-off expansion is a 6-team play-off. In my opinion, the AAC needs to figure out how to get some sort of conference-champion and Top 8 criteria into a six-team playoff scenario. If any conference champion is Top 8 (this includes the Pac-12, Big 10, AAC, MWC, etc. . . . and maybe even the ACC now that Trevor Lawrence is gone . . . heck, everyone but the SEC), then they get a spot in the play-off even over a higher-ranked second conference team. That should still almost always leave room for Alabama in the Alabama Invitationals in the event they are the second-best team in their conference.

Interesting. When playoff expansion is discussed, it's almost always an 8-team model that is brought up. But, a desire for expansion is obviously not universal among the P5, otherwise we would probably have it right now.

So a six-team model could be a compromise among the various Power leagues. And in that case, as you say, it will be up to the AAC to try and maneuver for a format that gives us the best chance to get a team in to it.

I see any less conventional option (like a 6-team playoff) as very unlikely. Look---the biggest logistics issue with expanding the playoff is time. The time window is limited. Thus, if your going to add an extra week to the playoff (like a 6 team playoff would require), it makes no sense to play less than the maximum number of teams that will fit into that time window. Adding 4 extra teams and a full first round brings more interest, more money, and maximizes the value of the expansion vs the 6-team alternative. Furthermore, if you add 8 teams rather than 6---the chances of any one league landing 2 teams in the playoff increases---thus---its hard for me to see why any conference would have much incentive to vote for a 6 team playoff over an 8 team playoff if both require the same time frame. Eight means more money and more opportunity to make the playoff.

Agreed.

The biggest hurdle is the expanded schedule, where a 6-team playoff adds another round in the exact same manner as an 8-team playoff yet doesn't maximize revenue. The 6-team playoff concept has never made sense to me logistically. I get it from a pure message board competitive standpoint, but if the powers that be are willing to go to 6 teams, then there's pretty much no reason why they wouldn't be willing to go to 8 teams. Now, I think any further expansion beyond 8 teams is extremely unlikely. Once we get to the point where every P5 champ gets a guaranteed playoff spot, the desire to go beyond that is essentially nil for the interests that have power.

The 8-team model makes too much sense to ignore based on the current NY6 setup.

Right now you have 6 NY6 bowls and a moving national championship venue. Right now those 6 bowls rotate through which 2 get to host the semi-final games for the 4 invited teams every year. The rest have their normal conference tie-in games that don't advance.

With an 8-team playoff, you make 4 bowls quarter-finals (8 teams), and make two semi-finals (4-teams). You rotate through which are quarter vs semis each year. So each bowl is a quarter 2 years and a semi 1 year on the 3-year rotation.

Now every NY6 bowl is a playoff game every year. It solves all the conference tie-in issues with those bowls, because they would all vote to be a playoff game every year.

Beyond that, the whole question of 0-8-0, 5-3-0, 5-2-1 is still up for debate.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021 07:19 AM by CoastalJuan.)
04-20-2021 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ... - CoastalJuan - 04-20-2021 07:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.