Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going to be."
hammannja Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston Cougars
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ...
Not a frequent poster, but a fairly dedicated lurker. This background is to state that like many of you, I have watched or listened to most of the Aresco public comments regarding the conference since its inception.

I think that when Aresco was referring to "strategy," he was referring to one or both of two things:

1. How does the AAC get an automatic bid in an expanded college football play-off or otherwise most advantage itself in an expanded play-off scenario.

2. How does the AAC become the sixth autonomy conference (which isn't necessarily the same as being the sixth "power" conference).

Each of these two things is separate and each requires (potentially) a different strategy to accomplish. While adding one or more strong football teams might facilitate the first of these two strategies, it would only be one small piece of the strategy. Moreover, it would likely have no impact on the second of these strategies.

If my thoughts are correct, other than talking about expansion, which this board does non-stop, I'm not sure any of us is close enough to the situation to offer constructive advice. As to the first strategy, we would have to know commissioner/president/AD sentiment and vote counts for various competing expansion plans and be able to tally this sentiment and vote counts to see if there is a path forward. In this vein of thought, someone might volunteer that the PAC 12 would likely be a definite proponent of expansion, but not necessarily of an AAC auto-bid. And after a few more of these generalized comments, we would likely run out of material to discuss.

For the second, we would have to know the same, plus the inner workings of the NCAA on submitting a proposal to change the legislative status of a conference from non-autonomous to autonomous. If this second strategy were easy, the conference would have done it already.
04-18-2021 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ... - hammannja - 04-18-2021 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.