getmhawks Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Home game added vs. Elon (Saturday, 6 PM) - CofC games cancelled
(02-26-2021 08:43 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 06:39 AM)getmhawks Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 07:59 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 01:03 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-23-2021 04:51 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Just left my Docs for annual physical, said that they have only seen a Dz cases of Flu this year, usually by this time they would be in the 100s. Did flu REALLY disappear, or is it all just counted as Covid?
A $hitshow of a year. Thank goodness these kids are getting an extra year of eligibility from this. As a bonus, they can likely get close to a masters on scolly which is something that wasn't possible before

Have you considered that some of the same behaviors being used to try to prevent COVID spread are also effective ways to avoid the flu? I’ll bet the common cold frequency has dropped a good bit too.

Not saying it was all worth it by any means, but it is a decent silver lining.

Absolutely that accounts for SOME of it, but zero chance there is that big of a drop based on that alone.

Both times I’ve taken my kids to the doctor with a fever this year they have run influenza A and B tests. I get it. You think it’s all exaggerated. Some of it is. Variant this variant that right now, for example. Double masks, etc. But several of y’all are just relentless contrarians with a lot of strong feelings. I’m over this crap, too. When all have had a chance at vaccination I’m not holding back. And yes the vaccines available in the US should be good enough for these variants...even SA strain.

But a simple check on influenza positivity rates in 2020/2021 season vs the 5 year average is all you need to evaluate your assertion of the great influenza cover up. The 5 year influenza positivity rate is around 15% but for this season is 0.17%. The current pace of testing by reporting clinical and public labs is also set to exceed or match the highest number of tests performed in any of the preceding 5 flu seasons. This literally took me about 5 minutes to research. So while I agree with your frustrations and am also empathetic to your covid fatigue, just do some quick fact checking before you project your feelings on everyone.
03-yawn If the last year has taught anyone who likes numbers at all anything, it's that there isn't much trust in any of them. Think about how many times the goal posts have moved with numbers?? So in your "feelings" do you really think that masks have decreased the Flu by the numbers you presented me as factual? Just curious

I didn’t infer a reason for the drop but I’m sure there are host of reasons and most are probably behavioral related /proximity of people. I’ll let your deductive reasoning skillset or feelings, if you choose, fill in the gaps.

A mask hasn’t kept my family from doing one thing this year. Certainly there are better hills to die on than tirelessly complaining about mask mandates. I can easily think of bigger bones to pick with pandemic policies than a mask. But it’s your fight and has been and likely will be for the foreseeable future. I could care less if you wear it. And I won’t once you are offered a vaccine.
02-26-2021 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Home game added vs. Elon (Saturday, 6 PM) - CofC games cancelled - getmhawks - 02-26-2021 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.