Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gonzaga considering opting out of the WCC tournament.
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Gonzaga considering opting out of the WCC tournament.
(02-17-2021 09:40 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 09:35 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 09:26 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I've been an Indiana Hoosier fan for many years and recall the days that Coach R. M. Knight contended the winners of Big Ten tournament should not be the automatic rep of the league in the NCAA tourney. He argued such an arrangement cheapened the regular season and minimized the achievement of the Big Ten regular season champion — and I agree. I would be OK with seeing the end of post-season league tourneys but realize that's not going to happen.

My problem with this is twofold. Unless you're in a conference that does a double round robin with each playing all the others H&H then someone will have a scheduling advantage for regular season play. And second, I loathe the idea of an NCAA bid being awarded based on some tiebreaker rule.

Regular season championship should get you a #1 seed in the conference tournament and an NIT autobid. In March, you win and move on.

Both your points are valid. There is no perfect system. But the question is simple: Which of the two options is "the lesser evil"? R. Montgomery Knight and Bill Dazzle agree that sending the regular-season champ to the Big Dance is "less bad" than having the league tourney winner be the rep.

I like the idea that starting in March, every NCAA team still has a shot to win the title.

But Coach Knight had a good point. But there is a way to reward the regular season champ while still giving everyone a shot at the conference tourney: give the regular season champ a double-bye (or even a triple-bye) in the conference tournament.

I also really like how the NIT now takes all regular season conference champs. That's a huge incentive for over half of D1 conferences. That's been the best change to postseason play since the expansion to 64 teams in the 80s.
02-17-2021 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonzaga considering opting out of the WCC tournament. - Captain Bearcat - 02-17-2021 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.