Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Smaller Football Focused Conferences
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: Smaller Football Focused Conferences
(02-15-2021 11:29 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  IMO conferences should be two nine team divisions. Four home & away conference games without having to play one or two teams in the opposing division. It's the only way to have a true championship game. It's a crap shoot on who teams gets paired with. One may draw the two best teams the other the two worst. Just have a hard time understanding how that is that an equitable situation. I've never understood the idea of potentially having to beat the same team twice to win a conference championship. If the teams split aren't they actually just co-champs?

I can see why you would want an even number of conference games because then teams would have the same number of home games and road games. In my first post I had ten games and a nine game conference schedule. Well then half of the teams would play five home games and the other half would play five road games and with round robin play and "one true champion" you can't use the "one division gets the extra home game odd years" rule that exists in the Big Ten and Pac 12 now. The problem with an odd number of teams is that they all can't play conference games in the same week, someone has to be off or play a non conference game every week.

I also think eight conference games is too few. Now you can have eleven team conferences and ten conference games but that might be going too far as it would leave just two non conference games and little room for home and away pairs as a lot of schools depend on seven home games a year. I think nine conference games is the perfect number and if you are able to get the Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech, etc. in the same conference, you should be able to get most schools to agree to nine conference games. Of course this is coming from a Big Ten fan.

But if you want nine team conferences, I'd have to chop one team out of each of my ten team conferences.

SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee (Miami out)

Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin (Purdue out)

SWC: Arkansas, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech (SMU out)

Pac "9": Arizona, Arizona State, California, , Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington (Colorado out)

ACC: Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest (Boston College out)

Big 8: Colorado, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern (BYU, Boise State out)

New Conference: Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis, Purdue, Temple, West Virginia

New Conference: Appalachian State, Central Florida, East Carolina, Miami, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Florida, UAB, Vanderbilt

(Maybe group BC and Miami and put the "Atlantic" schools together and Kentucky and Louisville with the "Southern" schools is another possibility.

You can pair these up.
02-16-2021 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Smaller Football Focused Conferences - schmolik - 02-16-2021 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.