Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thamel: Seismic change is coming
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Thamel: Seismic change is coming
(01-13-2021 06:36 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 05:26 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  Anything can happen in realignment. But my money, and. I would guess house money too, is on an expanded playoff. Adds more inventory for the networks, addresses access concerns for the conferences, increases parity for the sport.

I would be surprised if the B1G or SEC expanded. I don’t see them being able to grab the inventory pieces they desire out of the ACC. The Big 12 could be an option, but I think Texas and OU are fine with the status quo so long as they still make their money and have access to the CFP. Texas could be a wildcard with the LHN winding up and losing that revenue stream. A Pac-12 merger might have some benefits for both parties, but there is a real question about differing cultures athletically and academically, commitment to high level competition, increased travel expenses, lack of fan interest in the tier 2 matchups, and not least of all who’s conference takes over? The PAC-12 leadership has been a disaster the past decade and the Big 12 has more or less stabilized.

But money talks...

LHN isn't winding up anywhere.. Still here for another 10 years

LHN is a disaster for everyone but Texas's bottom line, but it also helps the Big 12 when early concerns were that it would harm the Big 12. By basically giving Texas $15 million a year on top of the existing Big 12 media deals, it essentially ensures that Texas will be ballpark-competitive in media revenue with SEC and B1G schools, thus making it less tempting for them to seek greener conference pastures.

If the LHN didn't exist, the rest of the Big 12 might have had to chip in among themselves an amount similar to it - as the MW does with Boise - to keep the Big Kahuna happy.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021 11:21 PM by quo vadis.)
01-13-2021 11:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thamel: Seismic change is coming - quo vadis - 01-13-2021 11:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.