Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pac-16 Play-by-Play: How would realignment have shaken out in a Pac-16 scenario?
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Pac-16 Play-by-Play: How would realignment have shaken out in a Pac-16 scenario?
(11-03-2020 09:28 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(11-03-2020 06:40 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(11-03-2020 06:28 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  8 fb schools and a BCS tie in > 3 football schools and a BCS tie in

I wonder if the Big East schools would keep their BCS tie-in, so that the Big 12 would actually have 2. It's not like the non-FB Big East schools need it. In any case, that situation would have only existed for a couple years before the CFP/NY6.

I think they hang on to 1 BCS tie in for the duration of the BCS but after that, it’s tough to say.

I could see the PAC 16 (16), Big 10 (14), SEC (14), and ACC (14) pushing for a post season format that only involved their 4 champions either as a de facto or de Jure system. (The de facto model would be to implement a Plus One model. The BCS would go away and the Rose Bowl would simply host the PAC 16/Big 10 while the ACC/SEC squared off in the Sugar. The Orange and Fiesta could then be free to have tie ins with who ever... oh and what’s this... the Fiesta has the PAC 16 #2 vs ACC #2 and the Orange Bowl has the SEC #2 vs Big Ten #2!

the hiccup is ND—they’d need to be worked in some how.

I think the Big East attempts play as one big 20 member family until the schools that form the bridge between 2005-2012 new fb additions and the old guard basketball schools start getting picked off—Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, WVU, ND. Lose those and things get rocky.

One thing that could keep them together is if, with the loss of Pitt/Cuse they added Utah and BYU and functioned as unique scheduling pods for basketball etc:

West: Utah, BYU, K St, Iowa St, TCU, Baylor
Central: DePaul, Marquette, ND, Cincinnati, Louisville, WVU, USF
East: UConn, Providence, Seton Hall, St John’s, Rutgers, Villanova, Georgetown

In a P4 champs only CFP scenario, ND will have to join a conference in FB if they want to be eligible. If they don't join, nothing has to be done to accommodate them.

And no, that would certainly not keep the Big East together.
11-03-2020 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pac-16 Play-by-Play: How would realignment have shaken out in a Pac-16 scenario? - Nerdlinger - 11-03-2020 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.