Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will Vanderbilt and/or others de-emphasize athletics in the 21st Century?
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Will Vanderbilt and/or others de-emphasize athletics in the 21st Century?
(10-12-2020 08:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(10-12-2020 07:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Well as of today the SEC is postponing and rescheduling their first game. Vanderbilt vs Missouri is off for this week. The reason is that the SEC school with the finest medical school can't run an effective quarantine on their football team probably because they really don't have an A.D. and instead have a bureaucratic system answerable only to the President and Trustees.

If the two Mississippi schools can one you would think that Vanderbilt could, but noooooooo! This is jus another in a long list of Vanderbilt compliance issues. Sports accommodation venue standards? Nope Requisite number of required sports? Nope Remaining deliberately competitive in money sports? Nope Health Safety Protocols maintained? Nope

So if they wanted to de-emphasize sports it would likely be as welcomed as Suwanee's departure. Only I don't think they would need to fully depart, but they would need to upgrade the basketball venue, add women's softball, and become a partial football member.. Nobody in the SEC hates Vanderbilt, but they are severely lagging in compliance with conference standards in athletics.

As an institution, I don’t think they have any desire to play this year so I think they’ll do everything they can to avoid playing.

If Vanderbilt won’t voluntarily take themselves out of big time athletics would the rest of the membership dare to take them out against their will?

The SEC has never asked anyone to leave. Suwanee, Tulane, and Georgia Tech all chose to leave. Suwanee simply couldn't continue to commit to sports, Tulane thought they could make more as an independent, and Georgia Tech really left because of hard feelings between Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant.

As I keep saying, I could see Vanderbilt essentially taking a step down in football and becoming a partial member of the SEC. That's quite different than simply leaving.

What might best help Vanderbilt football?
A: Playi 9 SEC games as we are likely to do in the future where they might be able to win 1 or 2 on a consistent basis meaning on years when they win 2 they still couldn't get the 6 wins they need for a bowl.

B. Play 5 SEC games with a couple at home giving them a great gate and having 7 more games to play schools like Wake, Rice, Tulsa, Duke, Tulane, Northwestern, etc. and with a good year they may actually have a decent shot at a bowl?

I believe a strong argument moving forward could be made for B.

Now as to Love and Honor's post that catalyst for many including numerous smaller privates will be any court order pushing pay for play and it will impact some state schools as well, just not the larger ones.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020 09:26 PM by JRsec.)
10-12-2020 09:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will Vanderbilt and/or others de-emphasize athletics in the 21st Century? - JRsec - 10-12-2020 09:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.