Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is W&M Chasing an Impossible Dream?
Bookmark and Share
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Is W&M Chasing an Impossible Dream?
(09-17-2020 03:49 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  With significant changes to W&M Athletics, it's fair to ask: is W&M Chasing an Impossible Dream?

In our most recent post, we explore W&M's ultimate goal of attaining elite academics and elite athletics at the FCS level.

Can it be done? Time will tell.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2020/09/17/is-w...ble-dream/

There is a place where College leadership has managed to elevate the profile of Tribe athletics. If one googles "college athletic budgets" and then clicks on news, "William and Mary eliminates seven sports" has consistently appeared among the top search results since Sep 3.

It was never clear (at least to one fan) how the 2025 vision would transition from aspirational word salad to tangible resources needed to compete successfully year in and year out on the pre-pandemic landscape. The sports reduction announcement laid this bare.

All of us have heard and read the mantra that there are no other schools/college athletic programs like William and Mary, and consequently, finding a better conference fit than the CAA wasn't worth the effort. Guess what, having dropped seven sports, William and Mary is perhaps not the unique athletic program that existed prior to Sep 3.

We should be willing to admit that a big challenge for the College leadership is that it has to determine not only its own resource outlook, but also figure out what competitors/potential competitors will be left standing sponsoring which sports. It's not hard to envision some FCS football programs giving up the ghost, or others downgrading to, for lack of a better description, the Davidson model.

The above challenge notwithstanding, I think it will be a mistake if Tribe athletes, fans and donors are left with a scaled down version of the pre-pandemic vision. When the dust settles I hope Tribe sports land in a league where they can affordably thrive, and generate more fan interest, generational rivalries, and attendance, and larger donations. Anything I understand about the program at this point leaves me a bit like the guy with the sandwich in the Liberty Mutual commercial -- "I don't see it."
09-19-2020 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is W&M Chasing an Impossible Dream? - Florida tribe fan - 09-19-2020 04:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.