Open TigerLinks

40 Memphis Football Players In Isolation Due To Party Bus
Bookmark and Share
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: 40 Memphis Football Players In Isolation Due To Party Bus
(09-15-2020 01:32 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 10:46 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  The university professor who originally sounded the alarm that playing college football could lead to 40% infection rates - and that was cited by the B1G and the PAC - has changed his position. He re-analyzed after getting numbers from training camps, and feels like teams are keeping things under control. Early results are that the numbers from football programs are not any different from numbers within the overall demographics. That is, the risks for players are not greater than the risks for their peers in the student body.

At least that was his analysis in August. I would be curious to see his data now that the season has started and students are kinda back on campus. Unfortunately, I can't recall the guy's name and I can't locate the article I read about him.

It was a bit galling of him to say that the B1G and PAC over-reacted, when he was the one predicting huge outbreaks and multiple deaths of college players.

He predicted 3-7 deaths from a pool of 13,000 players. There have been 315 deaths from a pool of 21,630,000 US citizens. Going straight down the middle and assuming 5 deaths; that would project to 8,319 deaths among the peer group in the country. A slight difference of 26 times the number of deaths in the general population. Just a little mistake, no big deal, the same as saying 4 million deaths instead of 250,000 deaths.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19. Taking into account that range and medical care provided for football players, the death rate would be lower than the general population, Jacobson said.

Yeah that's the guy. I found the updated article I was referencing.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co...368291001/

And another column authored by Jacobson where he really shows he's changed his position.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...371380001/
09-15-2020 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40 Memphis Football Players In Isolation Due To Party Bus - Tiger87 - 09-15-2020 05:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.