Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread
(06-03-2021 06:10 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 06:43 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 06:21 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(05-30-2021 05:33 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(05-29-2021 08:29 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  Man, I was wrong last year about complaining we didnt have any early enrollees. Now looking at the way CC was holding off due to an extra yr for all players and being able to pick from the transfer portal, I'm not overly concerned.

I will stick to my story that if we win 8 games I think it opens eyeballs. Our recruiting the last 3-4 years has been good and imagine if we won a MAC title. Man, I hop CC gets it done. He has the team this year to compete, get wins and help with recruiting.

Steve don't feel the least bit bad. Coach is a smart guy but NOBODY ever claimed he was overly aggressive, he promotes the fair catch, sits on leads and absolutely avoids potential bad citizen recruits. He is who he is and to date I vigorously accept him.

With the one time free pass of transfer, I honestly think the portal is a far more lucrative option than the High School ranks. I still love the fourth year senior, but I doubt that Maxx Crosby or for that matter Brogan Roback and Kevin Magill would have finished their collegiate careers at EMU under such rules. The world has changed and Coach Creighton has adapted, he has a clear strategy while it may have befuddled both of us, I feel sanguine about where we are going.

Crosby didnt finish his college career - he went pro a year early.

OK Dan my friend, we can enter into the areas of semantics if you wish. Maxx DID finish his collegiate career at EMU, he did NOT, however, expend all of his eligibility. You are correct, he had one year left and I personally was delighted when he went pro instead of seeing him rushing off the end at a Power 5 program. Had he transferred to U-M or OSU, he probably would have been a first round draft pick and EMU would have been a destination in his rear view mirror. Maxx, instead has the Block E tattooed on his arm.

first off so there isnt any confusion - i fully support maxx's choice and obviously he made the right one. i dont want anyone to take my comment as a criticism or anything.

i think for players the choice isnt as easy as you make it out to be. sure he could have gone to a P5 school but maybe he gets hurt or gets lost on the depth chart. hindsight being what it is he made the right call.

in the more general sense i think the increase in senior year transfers may help EMU if they can snag guys from Div 2 or 1-aa. MAC schools will lose guys but also - if theyre smart - pick them up.

Dan, let me contrast Maxx with another All-MAC defensive end, Michael Danna from CMU. Danna spent his last year of collegiate eligibility at U-M, instead of opting early for the NFL draft. He got the chance to play in front of 100K fans and enjoy the P5 college experience that Maxx did not. Danna was subsequently drafted by the KC Chiefs and remains on their roster and although he clearly lacks Maxx's foot speed and talent, he is doing pretty well considering the circumstances. You make a valid point, however, any decision these athletes make is hardly risk averse, Danna could have suffered a career ending injury at U-M and while I think Maxx may have elevated his draft status playing in the Power 5, there is no clear answer to the best choice.

I'm glad you bought this issue up Dan, because it is a tribute to Crosby. The Raiders list Maxx as coming from EMU, the Chiefs reference Danna as attending U-M while only playing their for a single season. Thanks Maxx!
06-04-2021 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Jerry Weaver - 06-04-2021 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.