Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who actually has had competitive success following realignment?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Who actually has had competitive success following realignment?
(07-23-2020 03:44 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  Speaking strictly of former BCS AQ / Power Conference members switching conferences, who actually remained competitive/at the top of their new conference?

Nebraska (Big XII to Big Ten) - For years they were a power in the Big 8 and later Big XII, but have not been really challenged for the conference much at all in the Big Ten.

West Virginia (Big East to Big XII) - During the 00s and early 10s WVU was a power in the Big East, always in the hunt for the conference title, in the Big 12.... not so much (though have had some decent years).

Mizzou (Big XII to SEC) - Mizzou was often in the hunt for the Big XII North division, and had success right out the gates after moving into the SEC but it was short lived, they are now average in the division they never should've geographically been in. Has this been a successful transition competitively for Mizzou?

Louisville (Big East to ACC) - Louisville like WVU was always a challenger in the Big East during their time there, did moving to the ACC and increased competition take them down a notch, or maybe something else?

Maryland (ACC to Big Ten) - Correct me if I'm wrong but Maryland wasn't all that competitive in the ACC and that didn't change much in the Big Ten.

Rutgers (Big East to Big Ten) - Rutgers had a solid run during the late 00s (maybe earlier, somebody else help me out here) but has been nothing but a doormat in the Big Ten. Successfully competitive in their new conference? Not even close.

Miami (Big East to ACC) - I think everyone knows the answer to this one. This is the biggest drop off of any team arguably in the modern era. That drop off started shortly after joining the ACC.

Pitt (Big East to ACC) - Another team I remember being quite competitive in the Big East. Yes I know Pitt has recently been in the ACC Championship Game and has some big wins, but is this competitive success or just a sign of how watered down the ACC has become?

Colorado (Big XII to Pac 12) - I am not sure what to think of this one. I know Colorado was successful during the 90s, but was that before or after the start of the Big XII? During the 00s I never thought too much of Colorado and in the Pac 12 I probably think of them even less. Is this coincidence? Are they competitive after switching conferences?

Texas A&M (Big XII to SEC) - A&M always seemed to be rather competitive in the Big XII and I'd argue this has translated fairly well to the SEC West (they are actually in their correct division unlike Mizzou).

Well, I hit most of them that moved from power conference to power conference. What say you? Do you agree, disagree? Some I'm overlooking?

Arkansas (SWC to SEC) - Someone help me out here as this was wayyyy before my time. Was Arkansas solid in the SWC/regularly challenging for the conference crown? I know in the SEC save for the Darren Mcfadden years Arkansas hasn't done a whole lot. Thoughts?

Arkansas was a national power in the SWC. They dropped more than anyone.
In the AP poll they were 3rd in the 60s, just behind Alabama and Texas. In the 70s they were 10th and in the 80s 20th. In the 90s 42nd.
07-23-2020 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who actually has had competitive success following realignment? - bullet - 07-23-2020 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.