Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

St. Thomas's D1 waiver has been approved
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
RE: St. Thomas's D1 waiver has been approved
(07-15-2020 07:19 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 06:06 PM)Todor Wrote:  Pioneer is good for St Thomas now but I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to scholarship football when a spot opens up somewhere convenient.

Might eventually happen, but it's going to be awhile. They have to spend A LOT of money over the next several years before they can think about scholarship football. They probably have to double or triple the number of athletic office employees to deal with compliance and the host of all the other things DI brings. They'll need to add assistant coaches and pump up salaries. Travel budgets are going to balloon. So might recruiting budgets. There are the other scholarships, of course. And then there are the tens of millions that they need to dump into facilities. Finally, it's likely that hockey will be a priority, and that's very expensive on its own.

Once most of that list is dealt with, then they might consider scholarship football. I'm not saying they can't do it eventually, but I doubt it will be in this decade.

You're right, but St Thomas feels a little different than schools like Butler, Marist, or Dayton that kind of retreated into Pioneer level football rather than drop it entirely. It's probably the best those schools are willing to strive for, but I suspect STU is different.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2020 03:19 AM by Todor.)
07-16-2020 03:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Thomas's D1 waiver has been approved - Todor - 07-16-2020 03:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.