UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’
The Answer UAB Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’
(07-27-2020 08:33 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I think many of us on this board know doctors who work with COVID patients fairly regularly at this point. All of them that I know say this is serious, and one of the biggest ramifications of catching it is the long term effects. We don't know what those will be, but they don't look promising in many people at this point. Staying home for the rest of our lives is obviously not an option, and none of the people I am friends with and trust have ever suggested that. But they have suggested wearing masks in public and not putting myself in harm's way.

If COVID hits an entire FBS roster at once, nobody is expecting 80 players to die. But if all 130ish teams have this breakout, that would be over 1000 otherwise healthy young men, and it's not unreasonable to say there would likely be multiple deaths at that point. The question to me becomes, is it worth it to suffer a few deaths of players and coaches to play college football this fall? If your answer to this is yes, then we can just stop the conversation there.

The major league players are getting paid and have endless funds to protect them, and we are still seeing breakouts in baseball after 4 days of games or so. The NBA bubble appears to be the best setup of the bunch, and I think that may work simply because of how things are being run and the short time frame it will take place in. But, these guys are all being paid and have agreed to take the risk for their paychecks. College athletes are not officially being paid, and they should not be put into dangerous conditions because we love our college football. This will eventually die down, and we will develop a vaccine, or herd immunity will eventually take place. I want UAB to play football as much as anybody does this fall, but I will not put my morals to the side to have this take place. If we play football, I think it's a very bad idea.

I agree. Frenchie is probably the only other physician I know who is so laissez faire about all of this. He makes a ton of ASSumptions that are pretty crazy. I'm sure he is a good physician in his own field and area of expertise, but I would not listen to anything he has to say regarding infectious diseases, epidemiology, or the spread of COVID-19. I think he gets a ton of leeway here just because he is a big supporter of UAB athletics. That's not a prerequisite for being an expert on what's going on currently in the country by any stretch..

I would be shocked if there weren't any deaths among players, coaches, or other ancillary staff as a result of COVID-19 if we go on with college football without any kind of bubble set up/major testing changes/etc. I really can't see the requisite safety measures being enacted in a sport that is so widespread and involves thousands of young college students without any kind of mandatory testing scheme, isolation/bubble set up, etc. It's a recipe for disaster. Professional players make an informed decision based on getting their paychecks and continuing their livelihoods, but it's just not the same in college sports.
07-27-2020 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ - The Answer UAB - 07-27-2020 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.