Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic)
Bookmark and Share
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes
RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic)
(06-25-2020 11:58 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 11:31 AM)jmuwyhamhgawd Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 09:21 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 08:33 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 08:14 AM)Dukester Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/broo...-covid-19/

Once again in professional sports - two of the 5 top golfers in the world take a break from the tour due to Covid 19 (and they did not even test positive for it), but college kids with power through? Explain that to parents, and even the athletes. Not going to happen.

Don't these golfers realize there is no issue/concerns to be had with this flu?

Pros will walk away from a Million Dollar potential payday, but send the kids on the fields!

Look at what is happening, not what you think should be happening.

As I continue to say my risk tolerance is higher than most, but I can still see what is right there in front of me with much, if not most, of the population.

There are many people who will go to games and be damned if they will wear a mask, but that is the minority.

Sadly Covid cases were at an all time high yesterday, but thankfully we are headed to the more obvious beneficial position of requiring masks. Our trends our worse then other countries.

I want sports and the economy back. Less a vaccine, the quickest way to get them back is through masks and social distancing. How in the world did masks, social distancing, and even the recognition of the biggest pandemic in 100 years become political and divisive?

01-wingedeagle

And yet as of today the following leagues are moving forward with plans to resume:
- MLB
- NBA
- NHL
- NFL

And those such as the following have already resumed:
- NASCAR
- SuperCross/Motocross

Sure 2 pro golfers for their own reasons chose to sit out. Anyone in any sport could choose to sit out as well, that is their personal choice/decision.

Lets just crawl into a hole again and shut it all down b/c 2 golfers decided not too play.

Yep Shady - "planning" and perhaps a better word "hoping". Best case scenario in all those situations team sports without fans. At best in another month. Other countries have already begun their pro sports leagues, and it's not because they have a bigger tolerance, it's because they have done a better job of reducing the cases.

And Shady, don't know how you missed it, but it's not just 2 golfers, it is many college teams and pro teams. And practices have not even resumed for the vast majority of teams.

Many of the southern states, including Florida are "beginning" to understand.

Have those countries done a better job reducing cases, or a poorer job identifying cases? It's hard to say. Yeah our case curve looks horrible compared to those other countries (mostly looking at western europe; seems like central and south america are now the ones catching up), but our death curve looks about the same. USA peaked at a 7-day-average of 2,043 deaths per day. That average has gone down 56 of the last 64 days, including 46 of the last 49 days, to now be sitting at an average 565 deaths per day. A decrease of over 72%. I take the virus seriously, wearing a mask, giving people space, no big groups, and avoiding most unnecessary trips/interactions when I can, but I get frustrated that only the bad numbers seem to get reported.

Also, specifically when it comes to sports, I wouldn't be so quick to say "best case scenario in all those situations is team sports without fans". I don't follow hockey or basketball all that much, but at least five MLB teams (cubs, white sox, marlins, twins, astros) have said they plan on playing with fans in the stands. As far as I've seen, none have definitively said they won't have fans.

I appreciate you wear the mask and take it serious. I want sports to come back ASAP. I want the cases, that lead to deaths, to come down ASAP. I want the economy to come back ASAP. I'm willing to take the minimum sacrifice for these things to happen. Of course a mask makes a difference...

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

Look at the US versus the UK. Now wonder why the UK is considering restricting travel from the United States. Does anyone think that is just luck? Does anyone think the UK forgot how to tract cases? No, obviously they've worked hard to gain those results, and it's paying dividends now. The premier league started back up last week.

So the best we can say is "we're planning". Possibly in a month our major professional sports will be playing games.

"Deaths are down" - as we know from a 6 weeks ago, deaths seem to track about 5 weeks from Cases.

Cases increase, then hospitalizations increase, then deaths increase.

I want deaths to decrease, sports to return, and the economy to return. If more people would take it serious, wear masks, and social space it will happen much faster.

Why have 5% of USA cases resulted in deaths but 14% of UK cases? (and 12% of Spain and the Netherlands, 15% of Italy, 16% of Belgium, and 18% of France)? Are they unhealthier, or do they have a deadlier strain of disease, or have they done a worse job of identifying total cases, which results in a higher fatality ratio? I admit I don't have the answer, but if I had to put money on it, I'd guess the latter.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2020 12:19 PM by jmuwyhamhgawd.)
06-25-2020 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmuwyhamhgawd - 06-25-2020 12:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.