Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Summit decides to not add Augustana
Bookmark and Share
LUSportsFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lamar Cardinals
RE: OT: Summit decides to not add Augustana
(06-02-2020 02:52 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 02:40 PM)LUSportsFan Wrote:  ...Formatting is messed up, but here's a look at Lamar vs Tarleton State and Dixie State. Tarleton State is left column; Lamar is middle; Dixie State is right. Thought it might provide a comparison of the up and comers vs an established DI FCS program.

For references, Lamar is in the FCS top 25 publics in the most recent USAToday DI Finances database. (Privates aren't in the USAToday database.) I could have picked anyone. I'm just more familiar with Lamar's numbers.
Lamar was at #2 in total SLC athletic expenses last year. UIW was first. Sam Houston State was 3rd per OPE. They are #1 in the SLC per USAToday. Several Big Sky programs are higher than both. For reference, Lamar would be in the upper middle (#6) of the Big Sky for expenses per USAToday.

Here are the page links if anyone wants to play with them.

Link - OPE Equity in Athletics top page
Link - USAToday DI Finances database

(Columns: Tarleton State ---- Lamar ----- Dixie State)
Expenses - Men's Teams
Basketball $864,953 $1,384,151 $837,366
Football $1,861,415 $4,300,112 $1,623,102
Total Expenses of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined $745,205 $2,543,639 $1,301,313
Total Expenses Men's Teams $3,471,573 $8,227,902 $3,761,781
Expenses - Women's Teams
Basketball $676,109 $1,247,747 $599,976
Football
Total Expenses of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined $1,708,273 $3,778,764 $1,897,934
Total Expenses Women's Teams $2,384,382 $5,026,511 $2,497,910

Those are D2 vs D1 expenses. Apples vs. Oranges. I get what you're saying, but Tarleton is fully aware its D1 budget will have to significantly increase, across the board. So again, they introduced a new athletic fee that will double its budget in the near term, and incrementally increase with enrollment.
Back when Tarleton was hell bent on the SLC over the WAC (2018), they did a feasability study of both conferences' financials. A very thorough study. Anything you evervwanted to know about your WAC/SLC schools 2016/2017 athletic budget can be found here:
http://www.collegiateconsulting.com/news...eton-state
Compared with current expense data, you see Tarleton is already pushing the needle in the right direction while still at the D2 level.

I agree the comparison is looking at Apples and Oranges for several reasons including competing in separate divisions, a different sports mix, even possible differences in cost of living for different areas. I should have noted that caveat. I wish there was a little more granularity in the summary report for sports other than basketball and football. That would facilitate a better approach to a pro forma look. The data is available in a downloadable file, but there are so many columns that it is a pain to clean up to the point that it is not worth the effort. II just thought the comparison might be a quick "back of the envelope" look at those same D1 vs D2 expenses. I fully expect both Tarleton State and Dixie State know what they are doing and are moving up with their "eyes wide open".

Thanks for the link to the feasiblility study. I read it close to the day that it was released. There is some very good information in the report.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020 11:11 AM by LUSportsFan.)
06-02-2020 06:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Summit decides to not add Augustana - LUSportsFan - 06-02-2020 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.