Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Covid-19 Effect On TV Programming & Financial Consequences
(03-22-2020 11:28 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 02:28 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 02:05 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 01:56 PM)Wedge Wrote:  tl;dr

Networks will take a short term hit but have the financial reserves to do well in the long run. Top pro leagues will have to give an extension to networks but will also be OK in the long run. Other sports that are more dependent on ticket revenue are more vulnerable.

RSNs are vulnerable because they are losing their highest rated part of NBA and NHL seasons and a big chunk of the MLB season.

Hit to college athletics is uncertain. NCAA won't have to pay back money but will have to give CBS and Turner an extension to compensate. Who knows how or if the NCAA will pay out money to schools for the canceled March Madness. Little impact to athletic departments other than that, unless the 2020 football season is impacted.

Very true re: RSNs.

I'm not sure how the NCAA will pay schools for this tournament since there were no results from which to reward credits, and we'll never know who all the automatic qualifiers would have been. Perhaps they can give an amount to each conference in lieu of their automatic qualifier?

If this lasts into football season, the networks will be in trouble. The NFL is the 800 pound gorilla of TV sports. College football generates a large portion of revenue for athletic departments.

Let's hope we have some sort of normal by August.

If this lasts anywhere near football season, college athletic departments and pro franchises will be in more trouble than TV networks. Ticket sales will be way down. People who have had their income disrupted for months are not going to be in the mood to spend hundreds or thousands for NFL or CFB season tickets, probably not for any other college and pro sport this year, either. Donations to college athletic departments will also be far lower than before, for at least the rest of 2020.

I think institutions that are saying they are suspended or closed until dates like April 30 are being wildly optimistic. In the USA, we're just getting started in terms of the impact.

Yes. Too many hopeful prognostications tossed out there over the past month.

One guy I know changed jobs at the end of February. I said to him not to buy the dip and he's like "I would get in now". Market has gone down another 6,000 points.

I overheard another guy wanting in Chevron because it dropped to 83 dollars a share. I'm like forget that its a bear market in energy right now. Now its sitting at 59 dollars a share.

These closures were initially for 2 weeks in March and been extended through the end of April already have mislead the public in severity.
03-22-2020 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: Covid-19 Effect On TV Programming & Financial Consequences - Kit-Cat - 03-22-2020 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.