schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: What To Do With The Rest of 2020?
(03-13-2020 02:43 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 11:13 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 09:21 AM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 09:13 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 09:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  No we don't. The SEC and Big 10 have shown no inclination to support it.

The Big 10 commissioner has spoken in favor of it. In the past, a number of SEC coaches and ADs have spoken in favor of it.

It WILL go to 8. Not necessarily before the contract comes up and not for certain when it comes up. But eventually.

I agree, 8 is the number. And I think conference champs get autobids, if they don't there's no need for a CCG and they'll be a thing of the past which would be a shame. The AAC commissioners entire career rests on getting the conference a seat at the table in that contract, 6 conf champs and 2 at large/wild cards.

Once "autobids" become a thing, that will be more motivation for the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 to invite Texas/Oklahoma in hopes of making sure the Big 12 doesn't get an autobid.

I think autobids will become a slippery slope. If you give the AAC an autobid, the MWC will be saying why not us? I don't know how far they will get. If some school in some conference finds someone in Congress on their side, they can demand an autobid for their school's conference. Can you imagine an autobid for the MAC? At the very least, they'll say that the CFP can't discriminate and say these conferences have bids and these don't. Most other conferences have practically every conference that meets a certain criteria getting an automatic bid. What criteria will the CFP use for what conferences get an autobid? The CFP's best idea would be to keep no autobids at all.

Exactly the same way they were dubbed BCS conferences, and the AAC still has an opening so that team can inquire about joining. The MWC commissioner has spoken out in favor of the "G5" system while the AAC has been making strives to break away from the G label to the P label and it's gaining ground.

They got away with it during the BCS era because back then it was mainly a bunch of bowls and one "championship game" and non BCS conference teams weren't excluded from the championship game. Now no non BCS conference team ever made it but there was nothing in the BCS rules that specifically prevented it from happening. Now you can say unless there are 8 automatic bids that there would be nothing to prevent a team without a team from a conference without an automatic qualifier to get in as at "at large" team either but certainly teams and conferences will object if some conferences have automatic bids and some don't. There's a huge difference between an automatic bid to a "college football playoff" and an automatic bid to a "major" bowl game. Consider the amount of money at stake between the Playoff and the Rose, Sugar, and Orange Bowls in non playoff years.

I think no automatic bid is the answer. If one of the major conferences can't get its conference champion or another team as one of the top eight teams in the country, it doesn't deserve a team in the Playoff.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 03:49 PM by schmolik.)
03-13-2020 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What To Do With The Rest of 2020? - JRsec - 03-12-2020, 08:55 PM
RE: What To Do With The Rest of 2020? - schmolik - 03-13-2020 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.