Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB Game: Rice (16-6, 11-0) vs ODU (20-3, 10-1) aka 1 vs 2, winner take all
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: WBB Game: Rice (16-6, 11-0) vs ODU (20-3, 10-1) aka 1 vs 2, winner take all
(02-16-2020 11:39 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(02-16-2020 01:18 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(02-14-2020 10:06 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  I think if they earn (at worst) a split with Rice they have a very good chance of an at large.

Atmosphere was really good for a Thursday game and I hope people keep coming out to support! These women definitely deserve it!

There’s a block button, I suggest you use it if you are that obsessed with me posting.

My point was an astute one, a new coach has breathed life into a program on total life support in just 2 short years.

It's her third year, but she has done great. I think it's going to be tough to hang on to her, if we make the NCAAs. We just don't have any money to counter. So with this, we rebuild 3 years with a good coach go to the NCAAs. Then lose the coach. Hopefully keep the team together. Then get lucky with another good coach, which is 50/50. Rebuild 3 years and make the NCAAs. So one NCAA in six years. That may be our fate, hope it isn't and we can keep her.

ODU women's basketball has something that no other program in the AD except for field hockey can claim, and that's a tradition of top-level performance. It's been 35 years since their last national title and 21 since their last title-game appearance, but the ODU brand has a cache in women's basketball, and even after all this time, that says something. This isn't a case of a 50s-era powerhouse getting hopelessly overwhelmed by programs with far better resources and facilities; ODU still has above-average attendance year after year despite a decade of less-than-stellar performance, and I suspect it won't take more than a year or two of this level of results before the fans come back.

Put more bluntly: The ODU women have a far greater chance of being Gonzaga (as in Gonzaga's women's program, which is very good in its own right), than the men do.

That doesn't mean that McCray won't leave for a P5 program, but I think there's a better chance of keeping her and a better chance of convincing her that ODU can be a program in the conversation every year — not a national title contender, but one that can make the NCAAs regularly and have occasional runs into the second weekend, which quite frankly is a great goal for any non-P5 basketball program.
02-16-2020 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WBB Game: Rice (16-6, 11-0) vs ODU (20-3, 10-1) aka 1 vs 2, winner take all - Cyniclone - 02-16-2020 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.