Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If NFL moves to 17 games as reported starting 2021...
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: If NFL moves to 17 games as reported starting 2021...
(02-04-2020 11:56 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  What happened to NASCAR?

A few years ago, it seemed ubiquitous – like it was everywhere. Even for someone like me, who never really followed it, I knew who Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. and (the other) Jimmy Johnson were.

Now, I have no idea who’s considered the good drivers and I have no idea who is winning the Winston Cup circuit or even who has won it in the past few years? It just seems like it’s a lot less present in the culture than it used to be. Is that fair? If so, why is that the case?

Anecdotally, NASCAR seems to have very few fans amongst Millennials and the demographics of NASCAR’s other fans likely aren’t as attractive (generally older, lower income, more rural, etc.). It would be interesting to see if the data backs up that anecdotal observation.

Other sports that have trouble drawing Millennials still have other attractive demos to rely upon. Baseball still is a big draw in several key urban markets (such as New York, Chicago and Boston), while golf and tennis have very high income viewers. NASCAR doesn’t have that to fall back on, so sports networks would rather spend more time to talk more about the NFL and NBA (which have growing and attractive demographics) compared to spending much time on NASCAR.
02-05-2020 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If NFL moves to 17 games as reported starting 2021... - Frank the Tank - 02-05-2020 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.