Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: A-Sun Expansion (to 20 teams!?!)
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: OT: A-Sun Expansion (to 20 teams!?!)
(01-31-2021 04:46 PM)army56mike Wrote:  
(01-23-2021 12:29 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(01-23-2021 09:25 AM)army56mike Wrote:  I know you have a great thing going in the SoCon and it’s a good conference. But you gotta admit, this would be a pretty darn good conference as well. Nothing like the old ASUN at all.

ASUN
*North Alabama
*Kennesaw St.
*EKU
*Jax St.
*C. Arkansas
*Chattanooga
*E. Tennessee St.
*W. Carolina
Liberty
Lipscomb
Bellarmine
FGCU
North Florida
Jax
Stetson
West Florida

Anything with ETSU and ASUN mentioned in the same sentence stirs outrage, especially among the old timers. Who are the other four to get to 20? What would basketball schedules look like? But, in these bizarre times, who knows what might happen across all of college athletics.

There is no goal of expanding to 20 teams. That was the old UAC/ASUN plan. Now the Commish wants to expand to 14, with the football conference at 6-7. I bumped it up to 16... well, just because.
How many of these teams were even in the ASUN when ETSU was there? Is it the same conference leadership? I completely undersand the merits of the SoCon and don’t expect any member to leave. I’m just pointing out that the athletics in the proposed conference above are pretty strong (when compared to similar conferences). The ASUN is definitely stepping up and making improvements. There are quite a few creative scheduling concepts coming out of the ASUN office.

Some of us old timers, after football was brought back, always envisioned ETSU ending up someday with the likes of App State, Marshall, Western Kentucky, James Madison, GA Southern, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Chattanooga, Coastal Carolina, Western Carolina. BUT - there’s always that issue of MONEY. Things continue to change and after this pandemic, who knows what college athletics will look like. But, for now — playing Furman, Citadel, Western, Chattanooga, Wofford, even VMI has a nice nostalgic, geographic, and fans recognition ring until a real move up is possible. I just don’t see playing these schools that are coming together in this redesigned ASUN would generate any more interest and support for ETSU athletics. And, if the goal of this new league in football is FBS (or whatever that ends up being) for each of these incoming schools, I just wonder if all in that group can AFFORD that without it impacting their academic side financially?
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 06:10 PM by Buc66.)
01-31-2021 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: A-Sun Expansion (to 20 teams!?!) - Buc66 - 01-31-2021 06:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.