Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Top Historians Slam NYT ‘1619 Project’ As It Infiltrates Public School Curriculum
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Top Historians Slam NYT ‘1619 Project’ As It Infiltrates Public School Curriculum
" Hannah-Jones also wrote that since McPherson is a Civil War historian, his viewpoint also doesn’t matter because “the 1619 Project scans 400 years and is absolutely not a history of the Civil War.” She did not give an opinion about the other historians who disputed the project. The project, which Hannah-Jones herself said “scans 400 years,” would include the Civil War as it began in 1861."

I received my undergraduate degree in History. This assertion by Hannah-Jones is patently false. In order to study any event, one has to study much further back in time than the episode in question. I took a year long Civil War course at the University of Cincinnati, and we studied colonization. It was necessary to get a firm grip on the subject matter. To use another example, I also took a World War II course. In order to study World War II, you have to go back to events in Europe in the late 19th century to get full context of what occurred in the next century.
12-02-2019 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: Top Historians Slam NYT ‘1619 Project’ As It Infiltrates Public School Curriculum - CliftonAve - 12-02-2019 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.