Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dixie State Already Being Mentioned A Possible Big Sky Conference Candidate
Bookmark and Share
Pounder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: Dixie State Already Being Mentioned A Possible Big Sky Conference Candidate
I read this a bit differently. Just a bit. This does involve the ability to read between the lines.

First: where? Bozeman. So, basically, columnist talks to the Montana State AD, the AD vents, and after a considerable amount of massaging, it ends up here.

Here's the problem: Montana State wants to be seen as a big deal... but do you think they can afford to send their Olympic sports teams all over the west? Heck no.

Are they in favor of the WAC taking away southern Big Sky schools? Probably.

As that won't happen by itself, would they be in favor of the northern schools breaking away? Probably. It does depend on the schools involved.

What's the core for Montana State? Montana, Idaho, Idaho State... and Weber State. Hey, Weber usually holds up the standard that barely exists for basketball in the Big Sky; they're the only school in the Big Sky that draws more than 3,000 fans per game (they usually double that 3K). Add Eastern Washington and Portland...

...wait a minute.

I don't know about Montana State necessarily. I know Montana recruits Seattle and Denver rather well. The crowd in Sacramento seeing Montana was kind of large. Would they value recruiting in Portland over Sacramento? Would they value Northern Colorado over either? Huge questions there.

Now... would they want Seattle U to join for basketball? I bet they do. Would Seattle make that move? I'll let you guys answer that, and I'm guessing both your answer & SU's answer will converge nicely.

This is where someone will scream about their dream FBS conference. That's not happening BECAUSE that conference will need TV more than all the others, but networks will ask them to pay for TV time instead of the networks doing it. END OF SUBJECT.

So if you can process this:

Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Portland State (we'll call it close enough to Seattle to matter)
Sacramento State
Weber State

Now maybe you add Northern Colorado to that. Maybe you don't. If not, Sac is the shameless outlier... after the BSC tries to lure UC Davis away to derisive laughter.

That doesn't mean the Big Sky won't want to manage a larger FOOTBALL conference. That can be done separately from where the southern schools find their conference for their other sports. Thing is, outside that flight to Sacramento, basically you have a conference serviced generally by one airline and, theoretically, is less expensive to manage without giving up too many "schools that matter."
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019 03:53 PM by Pounder.)
11-04-2019 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dixie State Already Being Mentioned A Possible Big Sky Conference Candidate - Pounder - 11-04-2019 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.