Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(09-06-2019 10:36 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 10:23 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 10:11 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 09:59 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 08:33 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Just take a look at the wide range of reasons given. They range from 'police brutality' to 'criminal justice discrimination' to 'LGBTQ' to 'Trump sucks' along with probably at least ten or twelve other individualized reasons.

The kneel has seemingly devolved into a protest for anything and everything that the individualized protester seemingly wants it to be.

Most 'kneel downs' have zero accompanying statement of why, so one could use this as such evidence. Not to mention as evidence of the efficacy of the 'statement' of the kneel.

The Texans had an uncommented 'kneel' only after the owner made a comment about 'the inmates running the prison' -- please do tell us how that adds to any cogent, directed point.

Considering the Saints' 'kneel down' had zero comment, Drew Brees tweeted "As a way to show respect to all, our #Saints team will kneel in solidarity prior to the national anthem & stand together during the anthem." That...... doesnt tell me very much at all.

Perhaps they 'dont know the reason why' may not be accurate. Perhaps the statement of 'because any number of varied and random reasons, some stated, and many not, and confusing as all sin to the outside world' is a better descriptor. Does that do it better for you?

Don't have time to go through all this at work but to say that players are protesting without having a clue why they are doing so paints them as relative dullards. When I hear Kaepernick, Stills, Martellus Bennett, etc. speak on the topic it is clear that they are thoughtful and informed.

When Kaepernick started this whole thing, he said it was because he would not honor the flag of an oppressive country. HE said it. He SAID it.

Here are his exact words:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” he told NFL Media in an interview published on Saturday.

What I hear most often is "police brutality".

What I hear most often is team solidarity. As in, I will support this, whatever it is, because i don't want my teammates mad at me.

Must still be 1952.

Since you have listened when Kaepernick, Stills and Bennett spoke on the subject, and they were thoughtful and informed, tell us what they are protesting.

And tell us if you think the USA is an oppressive country.

Again... busy so will respond more later but of course the USA has a long history of injustice when it comes to black people. Does injustice = oppression?

Tell me if you think black people are treated equally in the US in 2019.

Pretty much.

I know of no restaurant that excludes black people. I know of no apartment complex or house seller that excludes black people. I know of no college that excludes black people. I know of no restroom they are not allowed to use. I do know of Affirmative Action. This is all 2019. In 1952, there was a lot of oppression. heck, I remember when black people really were oppressed. I remember lunch counter sit ins at Woolworth's. do you remember Woolworth"s? Or lunch counters?

So tell me how those three people you named are oppressed. Are they not allowed to make a great living? better than yours, I warrant. Where are they not allowed to go that you are allowed?

Glad to hear you are busy. Busy is good, usually.

I will be leaving here soon. But we can piece together this discussion over time. I am eager to hear how you think the USA is an oppressive country. I think it was in 1952 - not so much now. But "now" is what Kaep is protesting. And most of the rest of them have no idea why they kneeling or what they are protesting, just some idea of team solidarity. What is Drew Brees protesting?

I think Tanq pointed out that Brees explained that he participated in an act of solidarity rather than an act of protest.
09-06-2019 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - Rice93 - 09-06-2019 10:50 AM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.