Bama fan who killed Auburn trees not paying up
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Bama fan who killed Auburn trees not paying up
(08-20-2019 12:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-20-2019 06:22 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 02:50 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Wait a second .... This clown was a retired POLICE OFFICER of some kind?????

What the hell.

Of ALL people, he should have known better.

And if Finebaum is such an inciter of violence, where are all the other examples of his show egging on idiots?

This is all on the clown who poisoned trees. Period.

He was probably pretty normal 30 years ago

Sadly, when people live alone and consume too much media they start to go batshit and sometimes stuff like this happens

That's a very valid observation Gamecock. I'm not sure it has a bearing in this case but it is valid nonetheless.

These comments are directed at several various posts. Yes they were trees, but they were as iconic to Auburn folks as Denny Chimes would be to Alabama fans. But Updyke didn't just kill the trees he killed the soil almost to a depth of 20 feet. New live oaks were planted after the first soil removal, but they died too. The Spike 80 penetrated deeper than the first soil removal so a second soil removal from ~ 1/4 of an acre was necessary and this time the excavation was much deeper. I believe the trees that are presently there are the second set to be planted. And to put it into perspective my grandchildren will not live long enough to see them grown back to what had been the state of the original trees which could have lived much much longer than they had. The real shame here is it wasn't a building that could have been rebuilt to specifications.

To those who doubt the actual, though not necessarily legal, culpability of Finebaum I merely wonder without him stirring the malcontented would an Updyke ever have considered an act such as this with which to try to attain notoriety? I say it would have been most unlikely. Without a public figure to try to impress, his actions would not have given him the same degree of personal recognition or importance that he craved. And for anyone to make a living by stirring and mocking some of the most fragile among us only to pass it off as entertainment has to be one of the cruelest and vilest occupations ever conceived, and wholly a disservice to the public good. And ESPN endorses this.

I was listening to Finebaum during that period. There is no doubt that he was egging on both sides, for his show's benefit, b/c it's essentially a fan call-in show. But I don't think Finebaum, whom I dislike intensely, did anything you could pin on him legally, unless the state or feds write a new law.

Unethical, probably, but what on the air or social media doesn't cross the line these days? Sports is actually tame ground compared to politics. Not making excuses for the guy, I pull for Auburn, but just making observations.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019 09:18 PM by TripleA.)
08-20-2019 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bama fan who killed Auburn trees not paying up - TripleA - 08-20-2019 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.