Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: The Case for Medicare for All
(08-02-2019 12:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 11:43 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 11:24 AM)Fountains of Wayne Graham Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 10:08 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Single-payer cuts costs for one reason. As a monopoly, THEY get to decide what health care you get, not you. If you're happy with letting someone else make your health care decisions, go for it. I'm not.
For many Americans, insurance companies are already doing this, right? If my doctor says I need a procedure and my insurance company decides not to cover it, my choices may be debt or death.
This is admittedly true. A few people are wealthy enough to afford expensive insurance on their own, or to cover the costs of procedures not covered. Most people who depend on their employer's coverage don't realistically have any more choice in their coverage than if the system was single-payer. For the millions of voters whose coverage is no better than Medicare, and who cannot afford to pay for a better plan on their own, what's the difference?
This is a problem that those opposed to single-payer prefer to evade, but if they don't address it, momentum for single-payer will continue to build.
Bingo. One of the biggest issues the right has in this debate is that they haven't been able to provide a cogent alternative to the Dems on the national, or even state, level. They run on "socialized medicine bad" when that is a better alternative to a lot of the insurance options out there for a number of people.
It would be nice to be able to choose between political parties offering truly competing ideas of how to fix problems in healthcare coverage, as opposed to choosing between the Dems' plan and just a repeal of the plan with no sound replacement.

That's why I've backed Bismarck, which is basically free market (or a lot more free than ours is now) universal health care. Government pays for a basic plan of your choosing (essentially something like single-payer or a bad HMO) either directly (France) or indirectly through a tax credit (Heritage). You are then free to supplement your coverage, and employers can offer upgrades as an employment incentive. Or you can purchase an alternative plan, using the government contribution (where the government pays directly) like a voucher. Alternatives can include high deductible plans coupled with health savings accounts, which is probably the most economically sensible approach.

Heritage proposed a Bismarck-type approach 25 years ago. I don't know why republicans didn't pass it when they controlled both houses. Bill Clinton would have signed it just so e could have his name on health care reform, and we would have avoided the whole Obamacare debacle.
08-02-2019 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-02-2019 12:50 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ausowl - 08-03-2019, 12:56 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ruowls - 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 02-10-2020, 06:06 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ruowls - 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ruowls - 02-10-2020, 09:30 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ruowls - 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - ruowls - 02-11-2020, 12:24 AM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 02-11-2020, 03:00 AM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 02-11-2020, 10:30 AM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM
RE: The Case for Medicare for All - mrbig - 03-05-2020, 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.