Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco discusses Buffalo to the AAC
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Aresco discusses Buffalo to the AAC
(07-09-2019 05:25 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 05:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 05:14 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 04:30 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Here is the thing----among schools that would have an interest in the AAC---where is the school with such a massive brand, athletic success, and obvious TV value that would push the presidents to completely dismiss academics as a factor? I dont really see a Boise or Louisville type option for the AAC. The only posisble addition that obviously works on all levels (brand, athletic performance, TV value, and academics) is VCU. 04-cheers

I do not see VCU as a good fit at all. They have marginal value in basketball, and zero value in football.

Define marginal. They were in the tournament in 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. If they have marginal value then the rest of the conference is in real trouble As for football, we didnt really lose any value there--its basketball where we have some repair work to do.

VCU has a good basketball program. If the aim of a #12 is to get a good performer on the court, then VCU is a good addition. To the surprise of many, they were able to maintain a tournament-level team after Smart left.

But that's not what pays $7 million. That pay is for brand value and VCU has extremely little - when most fans think of VCU, they think of the Final 4 run, which is now a solid 8 years old, and fading. Probably because since Smart left, their modus has been to make the tournament and then lose in the first round.

IMO, since football drives the bus, a #12 has to have some strength or brand value in football. One or the other. VCU has neither.

I dont disagree. There appears to be no such addition available to the AAC. So, fix what you can and move forward with 11. Let ESPN dock the AAC for the 5 million in football value. I doubt waiting will help much. If someone was going to emerge as a permanent leader of the furr ball of current choices they would have already done it. My guess is the field would look little different in 3 years than it does now. The only thing you'd really be hoping for is maybe a BYU, Army, or a MW team might be more interested at that point. Given the landscape---fix basketball and move on with 11 for FB. Nothing else really makes sense.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 05:37 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-09-2019 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aresco discusses Buffalo to the AAC - Attackcoog - 07-09-2019 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.