Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Seven schools have announced a new college hockey league
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: Seven schools have announced a new college hockey league
(07-20-2019 10:48 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  We might have a better indication of what will happen with UAA and UAF's athletic programs on Monday. (I don't expect a final decision, but maybe some hint.)

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educatio...emergency/

I tend to think this is all political negotiation and that some funding will be restored by the governor in return for some other budgetary concessions.
But...what do I know? 03-confused

I hope you are right.

But I fear both sides have become extremist on the issue. The University backers see the Permanent fund as the State's piggy bank and feel they should get that money first and lobby to do so (I was amazed how much the UA leadership has focused on advocacy rather than sustainability), and the governor and his core backers who want the legislature to stop raiding the fund, and so targeted the strongest lobby group for raiding the fund.

The compromise would be restoration of most of the funds, with a law passed (requiring 75% override) that sets a harder floor on the Permanent Fund Dividend which increases (slowly, saw $100 per year) until it actually hits the $3000 it is supposed to be (it has only a few years actually passed $2000, and has mostly been around $1000 after the legislature raids). That would be a win for reformed budgeting.

But I think it's turned into a all or nothing war, where neither will cave. So a lot of UA employees will get pink slips, and 2-3,000 students find their education put on hold.
07-21-2019 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seven schools have announced a new college hockey league - Stugray2 - 07-21-2019 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.