Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving?
(06-30-2019 08:22 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 07:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 05:34 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 12:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 11:01 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  How many AAC championship games will be on ESPN +? We do know that ESPN will broadcast the AAC Football Championship Game and all rounds of the men's basketball tournament (as well as multiple rounds of the women's basketball tournament) But how many other sports have Championship every year? Off the top of my head their is Baseball, Softball, Soccer... You get the point those Championships will be produced by a company like Raycom Sports who is currently producing the Fox RSN college games this year.

If you have 10 Championships games that need to be produced by Raycom... i think that cost adds up, year in and year out... Plus some AAC schools will need to upgrade the production capabilities..

The rubis what is the true cost? (this is where most emotional AAC fans start defending and not use logic or ask their ADs) There will be an upfront cost which will vary by each school for production upgrades and then the shared cost of haveing an ESPN Branded digital network that produces multiple AAC sports championship coverage every year..

You do realize that ALL those championships are currently televised by the AAC Digital Network? That network is going away with the new deal. So, I suspect the bean counters have determined its cheaper to let Raycom do the championships than it is for the AAC Digital Network to produce them. Either way---I suspect cost for the conference to produce the AAC championships is already built-in to the AAC financials---its just moving from the "American Digital Costs" line item to the "Contract Production Labor" line item of the spreadsheet.

Straight from the AAC commish...there is extra cost...to say there isn't is foolish..

As for the logistics, the conference will hire a company to produce the football games and Olympic sports championships featured on ESPN+.

Men’s and women’s basketball games, as well as regular-season Olympic sporting events, will be left up to the individual schools to produce at their cost.

The schools will have to build out infrastructure to accommodate the move, but Aresco said that each member institution is prepared to do it. He said part of the revenue from the new agreement allows them to upgrade facilities like control rooms and mobile TV units. Consultants were also brought in to speak with each member school to make sure it was a feasible option, and Aresco said the conference is still researching how to allocate funding as each school works toward a start-up date of 2021.

“There’s some work to do in terms of logistics, but it’s all good because everybody is really happy with the new deal and the amount of revenue we’re going to be getting in,” Aresco added.

Under the new deal, people who subscribe to ESPN+ can find AAC content under its own section with the ability to set alerts for kickoff times and scores.

Link
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c...y,amp.html

I didnt say it costs nothing. I didnt say there wouldnt be costs to upgrade. What I said is we are already producing all the championship games that Aresco mentions on our own AAC Digital Network. That Network is not free. There are current costs associated with the infrastructure, management, staff talent, and event productions connected with that network. Aresco says that network is going away. Thus, the budget supporting that network ("found" money) is now available to pay for someone like Raycom to handle the production of those championships. So yes---there is a cost---but we were already paying for that anyway--so its not a "new" cost.

Copy.... so that is why the AAC folks are saying that the INCREASE in cost is not as much as reports... So 2M per year might be accurate but if the school already spends 900K or 1M per year than the INCREASE is not 2M only 1M....(I do realize that the number may not be 2M that was the number used in the first article) Go it!

Quick question if the AAC is already producing all the championship games why do they need to contract out to a company like Raycom? I think that answer might explained alot.

Well—-Usually, in business when you outsource a job you have been doing yourself—-it’s because outsourcing is cheaper than doing it yourself.
06-30-2019 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving? - Attackcoog - 06-30-2019 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.