Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas Southern Considering Southland?
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Texas Southern Considering Southland?
(06-11-2019 10:43 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(06-11-2019 09:34 AM)michael.stevens.3110 Wrote:  This is a NO brainer .... Less travel time .. Less travel cost .. Less time away from class .. Less Racial issues .. We live in a color blind era .. It’s high time for Colleges to face reality ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hardly a no-brainer, the other schools would use the HBCU status against TSU in recruiting, they probably have better funding (though TSU's basketball and football facilities are top notch and they can borrow facilities throughout the city, especially from UH right down the street) and TSU would sink because it's harder to compete at a higher level. They do well but don't dominate the SWAC. *Finally, many of their hardcore fans like games against SWAC schools because they are also HBCU's or, if you want to be lazy in speech/racially insensitive (many are), all-black schools.

There's a whole culture of SWAC pride among all the schools that goes beyond the games, especially in football from the spirit teams/pep squads, to the fraternity steppers to, of course, the bands. They'd even lose recruiting territory for both prospective students and athletes. A school like Hampton is very progressive and kinda outgrew the MEAC. I can't say the same about many HBCU's. That said, TSU is in easily the most cosmopolitan city in all the SWAC but then again, that'd be true in the Southland as well. I can't say for certain it's any more than a lateral move.

*Disclaimer: I'm black making that comment.

To this point, hearing what MEAC and SWAC schools allegedly did to Hampton on their way out was pretty darn lousy, and made worse by the detrimental impact it had on those who did the shunning. Hampton threw MEAC a bone giving in to some demands, but them turning it around AGAIN on Hampton and still refusing to work with them...my god, what kind of silos are these schools really in?

SWAC strikes me as the healthier of the two HBCU D1 conferences, but, I would expect them to do the same if one of its own ventured outside of a legacy conference.

...but I don't blame TSU in the least for wanting to leave. I don't think Southland is a good option, but, staying in SWAC and MEAC pretty much guarantees no access to the FCS playoff and a lifetime as a play-in participant at the NCAA tournament. Legacy be d***ed, that has to get old pretty fast. Especially if your numbers aren't coming in.
06-11-2019 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Texas Southern Considering Southland? - The Cutter of Bish - 06-11-2019 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.