Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern Basketball Arena
Bookmark and Share
Birdseye Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ga southern
RE: Georgia Southern Basketball Arena
(02-18-2019 09:15 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(02-18-2019 08:39 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  If GS had crowd support for basketball, this might be the toughest place to play in the Sun Belt. The stands are steep and fans are right on top of things. The acoustics are terrible (and that's a good thing) making that place LOUD. When the Cajuns played there, there were 2400 in attendance. The only place we played this year that was louder was Kansas (and we played at Tennessee).

They've done a good job keeping Hanner somewhat modern. And, the new reno will help I'm sure.

Now all they need is to have 3500 every night and they'd really have something. That's up to the fan base to do the rest.

Sometimes the close proximity can also be a double-edged sword. Everyone is visible from every point in the arena, and especially when it's at half capacity, anyone can easily stick out. I think that's why we have a hard time getting our students to bring the noise to the game. No one wants to be the one to stick out. We used to have a group called the Hanner Hooligans who would stand the whole game and try to keep the other students involved, but they've dwindled down over the years. When the arena is full, it's a great atmosphere, but unfortunately, it's rarely full even with Tookie and Ike on the court.

I was hoping when the renovation upgrades were announced it would be a Texas State-like upgrade that involved knocking the sides behind the baskets out and expanding the arena out to give it an open feel. It doesn't seem like that's the plan though. I would at least want to get the 60 year old wooden benches replaced by actual seats. It's funny that Hanner seems to get a "face-lift" every 3-4 years now, and if we just saved our money instead of doing small projects here and there, we might actually be able to build a new facility.

Don’t know when you last attended a game but there are chair back seats on both sides of the court, including the student section and upper decks except the end zone seats.
02-18-2019 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Georgia Southern Basketball Arena - Birdseye - 02-18-2019 10:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.