Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: How do you like your 8 team playoff?
This poll is closed.
Straight 8 with no autobids. 17.14% 6 17.14%
Top 6 Conference Champs. 17.14% 6 17.14%
P5 autobids and 3 at-larges. 2.86% 1 2.86%
The 5+1+2 model. 42.86% 15 42.86%
Champ autobids with Top 16 ranking. 14.29% 5 14.29%
Straight 8 with G5 autobid. 5.71% 2 5.71%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you like your 8 team playoff?
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: How do you like your 8 team playoff?
(01-20-2019 04:52 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 04:35 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 01:10 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 11:36 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 10:29 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  LMFAO, in a sport with so little cross-sectional play, a system where participants are selected by closed door machinations of a small unelected cabal that would intentionally be directed to circumnavigate on-field championship results would be viewed as a MAJOR sham by the vast majority of the world and is counter to every single other athletics championship, amateur or pro. Any playoff expansion would include at least five P5 autobids and likely the top ranked G5 champion.

A sham to whom?

Tilting the field towards tiny fan bases is not a net positive for the sport.

Also, if we are forcing certain people into the scheme who did not otherwise earn it we are creating a real sham.

Says a fan of the school who made it to the postseason in 2011 and 2017 in years they didn’t even win their division. The blind spot here is massive my friend.

You can argue your self interest but don’t pretend it’s in the best interest of the sport.

...because we use a ranking system instead of pretending that all conference champions etc. are equal.

It's a pretty simple system, friend.

1- And a very flawed one where their number one team often is upset among other mistakes. At best it’s someones guess.

Quote:As for arguing self interest, that' precisely what putting woefully underprepared and weak G5 teams into the playoff over deserving teams is.

You either use a ranking system or a conference championship system, mixing isn't good.

2- Self interest is giving your school the best odds of qualifying. Since no school will get more benefit of the doubt than Saban’s Bama it’s your self interest to see as many subjective spots as possible stay that way.

Me arguing that an unbeaten G5 deserves a shot isn’t self interest- my school is a P5 and ensuring a deserving g5 makes it is counter to my school’s interest.

3- Weak and unprepared Utah looked pretty prepared for Alabama in that Sugar Bowl once again showing how fallible the ranking system is. But I’m sure the standard “didn’t want to be there” cop out is coming in 3... 2... 1...

1. You are not offering anything with a higher chance of success, just your preference.

2. You can try to prescribe that to me but it doesn't change the fact that there rankings are the best way of going about things, not pretending that the Sun Belt is on an equal footing with the ACC. You either rank the teams and use them or you don't.

3. Having a selective memory is one thing, remember when parking cost more than the tickets for the NIU v FSU Orange Bowl?
01-20-2019 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you like your 8 team playoff? - HeartOfDixie - 01-20-2019 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.