Bookmark and Share
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
RE: Is Kenny Brooks on the hot seat?
(01-30-2019 11:28 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(01-30-2019 11:22 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(01-30-2019 10:15 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(01-30-2019 09:30 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  I think this is year 3 for KB at VT - correct? (it may be year 2 but from memory think it is year 3).

Given that I would think it would be fair to judge KB along a similar standard as folks judge Louis Rowe.

Bottom line is this Wins/Losses are what matter period and even more importantly conference wins/losses. 0-7 in the ACC and tied for last place is the only stat that really matters. Who cares about the recruits and how good you supposedly recruit if you cannot produce conference wins.

If 3 years is enough for Louis Rowe to show progress and be competitive in the CAA then 3 years is enough for KB to do the same at VT.

Big difference is that KB has a strong history as a head coach from his time at JMU while LR does not. Further, there is a humongous difference in the ACC being the #1 rated WBB conference in the nation while the CAA is currently ranked #18 in MBB. KB has some more winnable games coming up though 5 of their next 7 are on the road...starting with Thursday night at fellow-cellar dweller Pitt. If they can't/don't win at Pitt (9-12/0-7), then they are staring a potential 0-14 ACC record right in the face before they host UVA and Wake to finish the regular season.

Pretty sure Babcock will be giving KB likely 2 more years, though their performance this year I'm sure is raising plenty of doubt.
Women's game and men's game are very different animals. If they weren't you'd see more coaches that were successful jumping from women's to men's basketball and vice-versa. Not saying that a coach couldn't make the jump but having success in one style doesn't mean much for the other. Kind of like saying an Arena league coach would be a great NFL coach, or a CFL guy would do well in the SEC. Different strategies, different kind of athletes, different mindset needed. High School and college football are more suited to the NFL than those other versions of American football are.

Yep. Agree they are different games. Point is though, getting into a race with a bunch of gazelles (ACC WBB) is very different from getting into a race with 1 or 2 horses and 7 or 8 snails (CAA MBB). The timeline for "getting good" in a rebuild is very different as well.

Side note, I still find it interesting that Ike is being given a 5th year. Is that foreshadowing what we will do with Rowe? If not, where is the consistency? A case can be made that Ike has failed harder than Rowe. Of course, again a big difference in revenue generation of the 2 sports as well as investment (UB&TC, for example).

I thought this was Ike's 4th season.....but point taken baseball needs to produce this season by at a minimum making the CAA tournament. Anything less than that and Ike is gone.

I will say this about baseball is that the team has been re-tooled from an all offense approach and asleep at the wheel the last 2-3 years under Spanky (the roster looked like a Valley Hs team....very poor recruiting), to a team much more focused around pitching and defense. Now the offense needs to catch up a little. But the change in team ERA has been pretty impressive under Ike.

Having said that he has to produce more W's this season. I think he needs at least 30 wins this season and no question make the CAA tournament.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2019 11:37 AM by ShadyP.)
01-30-2019 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is Kenny Brooks on the hot seat? - Dukes94 - 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM
RE: Is Kenny Brooks on the hot seat? - ShadyP - 01-30-2019 11:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.